Yahoo Search prepares to kick Google tush!

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Yahoo on Monday unveiled a major expansion to its Web search index, which now scours more than 20 billion objects across the Internet. The number trumps search leader Google's 11.8 billion-item index, although Yahoo admits that when it comes to Web searches, size doesn't matter most.
"While we typically don't disclose size (since we've always said that size is only one dimension of the quality of a search engine), for those who are curious this update includes just over 19.2 billion web documents, 1.6 billion images, and over 50 million audio and video files," developer Tim Mayer wrote in the Yahoo! Search blog.

full article

Hahaha, I like how he tried to qualify his right to brag about the numbers. "We don't normally do this, but for those who are curious..." :p

Translation: "We want you to know how much bigger our number is than Google's."

Want to compare numbers? Look at the stock!

Yahoo: 34.15
Google: 289.72

muzikool said:
Hahaha, I like how he tried to qualify his right to brag about the numbers. "We don't normally do this, but for those who are curious..." :p

Translation: "We want you to know how much bigger our number is than Google's."

Want to compare numbers? Look at the stock!

Yahoo: 34.15
Google: 289.72

I can't believe their stock is so high, hot damn. I heard it split a crazy amount of times over the last few months too....

Yahoo has been doing some good stuff lately too. Haven't used the search engine for a long time though. Might give it a shot to see how it fares. :)

I used Yahoo! for years. It's a shame for them that they got comfortable with where they were as a portal and didn't innovate in the same way that Google did. How many years younger is Google than Yahoo!, and how much more has Google done to pass Yahoo! by? It's all about looking ahead to the next big thing... or creating the next big thing.

muzikool said:
I used Yahoo! for years. It's a shame for them that they got comfortable with where they were as a portal and didn't innovate in the same way that Google did. How many years younger is Google than Yahoo!, and how much more has Google done to pass Yahoo! by? It's all about looking ahead to the next big thing... or creating the next big thing.

agreed... too little, too late.

You could have the biggest index of all time, but if the majority of the pages are junk or you can't give relevant search results you might as well have an index of 0.

It is good to see Yahoo! trying to come back to life though, adds a bit of compitition to the game now. :) IMHO they have more of a shot of taking on Google then MS does.

Xie said:
You could have the biggest index of all time, but if the majority of the pages are junk or you can't give relevant search results you might as well have an index of 0.

It is good to see Yahoo! trying to come back to life though, adds a bit of compitition to the game now. :) IMHO they have more of a shot of taking on Google then MS does.

I think Yahoo! has a good a shot as taking Google as I do :)

kcnychief said:
I think Yahoo! has a good a shot as taking Google as I do :)
I didn't say the odds were good (or even close). :p

Uhh. Okay. Either someone doesn't know how stocks work or ... well... okay.

Yes. Google's stock price is nearly $300.00 a share. And Yahoo's price is only $35.00 or so.

Okay. So let's make up some numbers here. Google has issued five shares of stock. Five times 300 = 1500.

Okay. Yahoo has issued 6000 shares. 6000 times 35 = 210000.

Maybe I exaggerated a bit but my point is that the value of a stock means nothing.

Oh, by the way, Google hasn't issued nearly as much stock as Yahoo.

madmatt said:
...point is that the value of a stock means nothing.

Oh, by the way, Google hasn't issued nearly as much stock as Yahoo.
bah, i was going to point this out. :)

anywho, maybe i'll bookmark yahoo and try it a bit.

who are you going to buy stock in though? Not yahoo imo. Google or MS is where you want to be investing for search technology. Bothe companies have enormouse resources and some insanely creative people.

yahoo.... well its also out there trying to get noticed....

Well this debate made front page of /. today ..

It doesn't really prove anything about the size of Yahoo!'s search index, but IMHO shows that Google has a much better way of delievering the pages that it's indexed. In the end if you can't show a relative search result for a search you could have all the pages on the net indexed and you'd still be number 2(3?).

Here's my opinion:

I recall when Yahoo first went public it was the best thing since sliced bread. Now Google is. Give it five years and there will be a new "Google".

It's the way of business.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back