XP2200 Can you buy a non Thoroughbred version?

J

joshuajme

I could swear they are meant to run cooler, I have bought one and it is running in the exact same circumstances as my 1800xp at the same temperature.

um well you have a couple of things to look @ with the 2200+

it only comes in one format far as I know... 0.13 micron process core... and it is thoroughbred...

now the 0.13 micron process means that the die size is smaller and the heat produced is less... amd's first effort at a die using their 0.13 micron process...

smaller die size than lower clocked thoroughbreds....

overall yes the smaller process allows for less heat and more efficient working... theoretically but also the smaller die size means there is less surface contact with the heat sink... thereby though it may be producing less heat.. the problem that arises is less surface area to transfer heat from... therefore if you dont have a good copper cooler for air cooling you will probably not find a lot of differnece in temperatures between the 0.18 and 0.13 micron processes... :)

hope this helped... you can also look online for more information...

Well if your XP2200 runs just as cool as your XP1800 then it is better right? I mean the higher clock could very well eat up the difference in heat between the technologies.

aha!!! good point my friend. I guess I was hoping for a bit more thats all...... 49 c at full load at 1500rpm aint so bad anyhow. I was hoping to get around 40 with the 2200. And why the f*** can't amd just put a heat spreader on the top of thier cores? Intel so wipe the floor with amd, shame im a poor manc.

amd doesn't have heat spreaders on their processor to save money. not to mention heat spreaders don't do much... the more stuff you have between your die and heatsink, the worse off you are. people with p4's who really want to overclock take their heat spreaders off.

how is it any different to put a heat spreader on top as opposed to having your heat sink act as a heat spreader?

you forget the differnt architectures...

lol... FFS we have gone over this so many times...

look @ the die sizes and the instructions per second...

heat spreaders will reduce a little temperature but do jack all when it comes to overclocking where a good hsf or liquid cooling device comes into play...

as for 1800+ and 2200+ and the extra clock... do not forget the 2200+ has higher multipliers and the same fsb... the process is also different as I pointed out before... 0.18 micron to 0.13 micron...

the smaller process should be more effective btu smaller die size means heat transfer to HSF is more diffcult... specially when it comes to oc'ing... and thats why you need a good copper heatsink... minimum...

intel also has a larger die than amd which helps spread the heat better and they have crummy netburst technology which reduces speeds if it heats up thereby reducing the temp (the basic idea)...

You keep saying crummy Sazar. I, for one, think it's a very smart and good technology plus it's a life saver. If the processor slows down, then you know you've gone too far if you overclocked or did something wrong if you didn't. Rather that then the smell of molten silicon and plastic! Why is that crummy?

knowing intel, they probably got too conservative with the temperature they consider too high... it could probably get hotter (and faster) wihout netburst.

the specific reason I call it crummy is the fact that the product I am paying for is not performing @ the level it is stated to perform @...

now I agree that for people who do not know much about pc's and want to be cool and stuff probably benefit most from this... but what about the professional users who KNOW the limitations of their systems and invest in cooling devices and what not and still have slow downs when multitasking...

the idea and concept in theory is brilliant... but playing around on my brothers pentium rig... I think it is a little overkill...

btw both pentium and AMD have a stated max operational temp that is within 10 degrees of each other.. I believe intel is 80-85 C and amd is 90-95 C or thereabouts...

people who burn their cpu's do more so from lack of knowledge or installation problems more often than not...

now a processor slow down for me is not indicative of an overheating cPU... not with todays programs... it can be virus/memory issues or something else... a CPU slowdown caused by a temp is the last thing..

my mobo is programmed to alert me when the CPU temp goes above 50C... and things like THAT should be sufficient to let people know that they are stepping a little high in terms of temp...

so therefore IMO... I think netburst is crummy... :)

IMO though zedric....

Since the temp should never be near 80 C, netburst will never kick in. Besides it doesn't matter how experienced you are, if your CPU fan decides to die, say when you are away from the computer, the CPU will die if there isn't an automatic emergency mechanism. Sure, I set my BIOS to warn at 65 and to shut down at 75, but not all people have this on (it's off by default). The extra safety mechanism can save you alot of money the day your CPU fan wants to comit suicide.

...IMO

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back