XP

M

mcbweb

The much anticipated release is finally here. . . . .

My latest version is out and available. I have several new updates to the application.

1. Resize to full screen.
2. Minimize application.
3. Color associations to events.
4. TCP/IP table (Current connections)
5. Searchable events.
6. New look and interface.
7. Search for specific IP (Number of events)

Enjoy. . . .

Re: XP Firewall Reader

Why would I pay $30 for a program to view the event logs from a totally useless firewall that only blocks incoming traffic, when I can use Sygate or Kerio, etc. for free at home, or $40 commercially. I don't want to skrew you business idea, but it does seem rather useless to me...

Good luck!

EJ :eek:

Re: XP Firewall Reader

Originally posted by Elroy Jetson
Why would I pay $30 for a program to view the event logs from a totally useless firewall that only blocks incoming traffic, when I can use Sygate or Kerio, etc. for free at home, or $40 commercially. I don't want to skrew you business idea, but it does seem rather useless to me...

Good luck!

EJ :eek:

Agreed. Sorry mcbweb, but he's right, there are many freeware firewalls available that are better than XP's built in firewall and can keep logs as well.

You cant make everyone happy. . . . . .

The application does more than just read the logs. For example: A suspicious IP address’s can be searched to display the current number of times that IP has attempted to access your system. This allows the user / administrator to quickly assess the log and possible security risk.

Most software based firewalls aren't that great, why pay for a firewall when XP comes with one for free. Most users don’t want some popup every five minutes just because someone pings them anyway. Most users simply want something simple to use that they don’t have to worry about to much and that blocks incoming traffic. That’s ICF. . . . . .

My application allows users to search, and read the logs easily. Not to mention a few other things. . . . .

Very nice little proggy. Thank you.

I actually got the chance to use it yesterday, nice work, Beats reading the text log for sure.

I agree with you. Why pay for something you get with XP. I especially like the search feature (Very Nice).

Thanks again.

Originally posted by mcbweb
You cant make everyone happy. . . . . .

Most software based firewalls aren't that great, why pay for a firewall when XP comes with one for free.

That is right, you can't make everyone happy, and that is why I expressed my opinion. ICF is better than no firewall, for sure. And some system admins might find your utility helpful. But if a single user considers searching their own activity logs, than that user surely IS concerned about security and would (should?) look for a better firewall. In such a case, I think, a different free or low cost firewall would be a better buy and your log viewer/searcher for that person. Actual administrators usually look after a network with a hardware firewall, in which case ICF is not needed.

That is just my opinion, and I hope for you that there are many minds that differ from my view, pay for your software and make you earn your keep.

Once again, good luck. EJ

Originally posted by slimer77
Very nice little proggy. Thank you.

I actually got the chance to use it yesterday, nice work, Beats reading the text log for sure.

I agree with you. Why pay for something you get with XP. I especially like the search feature (Very Nice).

Thanks again.

OK, I am getting a little suspicious here! Slimer77 just joined NTFS (May 15, 2003), makes his first ever post right away and tells us how great a product is that has just been released for $30. And he tested it yesterday!Furthermore, he post this into a discussion which is not going in favour of the program!

My question: Is slimer77 for real???? Who is slimer77?

Carpe Diem

Humm, Mcafee does all the things listed for me, I can turn off notifications unless it is major, I get a GUI interface that lets me monitor who and what ports have been attempted, is updated for free on a regular basis and costs me $20 a year. Not really seeing the benifit of your prog over what is already available, and sorry to say I trust Mcafee who has been in the business a long time over some who has not been when it comes to my systems security.

Best of luck to you.

I’m not upset in the slightest. . . . .

If you would have even given it a chance you would have noticed there is a freeware version as-well. Not to mention another small app for free.

I am going to school and thought I would try and pay for some of it with the application's I have written.

Thanks
Rob

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back