XP won't start, PLEASE HELP!!!

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
I can't get windows to start. I installed a new dvd +- RW drive and now when I try to start the computer I get this error:

windows\system32\config\systems
crorrupt or missing

I can see all the drives ok in the bios and it still starts in windwos 98 as it was a multi boot

Please help. I don't want to reinstall or repair if I don't have to.

same problem. I tried to disconnect both dvd roms and still same error.

have you tried booting with the xp disk and then doing the repair function.

Do i just reinstall windows over the existing one?

I tried doing the repair console and copying the system file to a tmp dir and it says it can't find the file.

If I reinstall over the existing windows in d:, will i lose all my document files?

Boot from cd-rom, start as if you wanted to install windows, walk through the screens at one point it shows an option to repair ignore this first time, after it has searched for a previous installation, it should show you your all ready installed partition, here you high light this and choose the "r" repair option.

And no, you will not lose your documents if you do a reinstall on top of the current install.

wingman411 said:
... existing windows in d:,...

I just reread this thread noticing fimchick answered your query and this popped out at me....

I believe installing to a D: drive could be the actual cause of your problem in the first place.

Windoze tends to hate being taken away from the C: drive and although it is theoretically OK to do so I have found it just ain't worth the potential hassle and it pays to just let XP do what it wants and own your C: drive... Hope I got this information to you before you repair install....

Oh and actually I hope your repair install was enough - because if you need to move to the C: drive you'll be up for a reformat / fresh install - and then you may need to take care of being sure to keep your documents etc. Anyways, always good practice to have backup (you DO have backup, don't you!)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back