Xp wont boot

ntentz

FingerBanger
Ok heres the story,guy called me up said hes power supply went out and computer lost power, he replaced the psu,but it wont boot. Now i have it here tried repairing xp with the cd didnt work tried to install over the old one didnt work.I didnt want to format unless needed.Now i have copied everything off the drive by putting it in my pc and copying it to mine. i got a first allocation unit is bad error when it ran scandisk on hte drive at boot if htat means anything to anyone. Noe even after a fdisk and makina anew partition and formating i can install xp boot when it gesto boot i got the boot screen then it goes black and does nothing but blow air around. I have run many of the ibm diag test on the drive and am running more now, but im not sure whats up whether the drives dead of what it works in my machine but xp wont boot any help would be great.

What happened to make the power supply snuff it? Did it fry anything else on its way out?

Dont know what made it go it was on when it happened i know that much. I just ran alll hd test and all checked out good, rebooted it ran scandisk on all drives but then screen went to black after that

If that first boot record is trashed you can't use the disk until it is repaired. Unfortunately Windows XP won't let you repair it.

There is a utility I used to repair a HD but can't find it I'll repost when I dig it out of archives.

I used ibms tool and every test i ran came back perfect but i dont know, im about done for tonight i threw another drive in gonna install on that see how that works out that should gimmie some insight. Ill be back at it tomm after work.

Ok even with a dif hd in the machine same thing xp screen comes up it goes right to scandisk on c drive and the screen goes black. Any ideas ? ide controller maybe ?

Typical, like reading a thriller, engrossed in anticipation to WHO DARN WELL DID THE EVIL MURDER, then Helll NOOOOOO someone ripped out the 'WHO DONE IT PAGE'

You just can't get the staff nowdays :p

Ok i made ya wait for lack of replies and help lol jk...started a new job been busy. Ok here it is he gave me an xp upgrade disk, but it wouldnt boot right on his machine as i stated above. Put his drive in another machine installed 2k no prob..in his machine with my drive i was able to install his xp upgrade using my 98 as the previous version,,, So i swapped drives back into the respective machines and installed xp on his same deal goes black at desktop time , on mine installs fine. I know this is hard to follow jsut imagine how i felt,,, So in the end all parts were good but still wouldnt boot right so I installed xp pro nad its now fine. I really dont know the trouble except that xp upgrade disk doesnt like his machine anymore it was installed there once but somethings up maybe somethings flaky after the psu burnout im not sure.... (O ya when i installed all the half dozen time its was always a full format install from the cd and wiped partitions too. Any ?s just ask

Originally posted by ntentz
Ok i made ya wait for lack of replies and help lol jk...started a new job been busy. Ok here it is he gave me an xp upgrade disk, but it wouldnt boot right on his machine as i stated above. Put his drive in another machine installed 2k no prob..in his machine with my drive i was able to install his xp upgrade using my 98 as the previous version,,, So i swapped drives back into the respective machines and installed xp on his same deal goes black at desktop time , on mine installs fine. I know this is hard to follow jsut imagine how i felt,,, So in the end all parts were good but still wouldnt boot right so I installed xp pro nad its now fine. I really dont know the trouble except that xp upgrade disk doesnt like his machine anymore it was installed there once but somethings up maybe somethings flaky after the psu burnout im not sure.... (O ya when i installed all the half dozen time its was always a full format install from the cd and wiped partitions too. Any ?s just ask
All I am going to say is..................WHAT???????????????????. :D

O no idea btw.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back