XP woes

M

Marco

Anyone got any ideas?
I have had this error message at startup
Missing or corrupt file
"C:\Windows\system32\config\system"
This must be 5\6 times i have had this now. I reinstalled XP again but i have no idea why this happens.
The system runs fine for a couple of weeks and then Blam!
I am on a real downer with XP at the moment, i'm thinking of going back to 98.
Is this a known issue, does anyone know?
Has anyone else experienced this?
I hope its addressed in SP1.

does the error message gives the name of the missing or corrupt file. If so post it please...

system is the file. There is no extension. Its some kind of windows hidden\system\protected file.
There is a MS Knowledge base article (just search for Windows\system32\config\system
) with a long winded solution, which i have done twice now, but not much in the way of an explanation as to why its happened

This has happened to me several times and I always use the ERUNT registry backup program to restore the registry. Fixes it every time.

try using the register cleaner to delete unwanted startup
it might help

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Could i please get an explanation of ERUNT and the registry cleaner. I would really appreciate that.
Thanks

Waldo
I now have the ERUNT program. What a cool app, i wish i had this befire. lol.
Could you tell me how i would restore?
I have read the ReadMe.txt with the app and it basically says to run the ERDNT(?) app from a C:\ prompt. Can i get to a C:\ prompt in XP? Is it possible from the system restore section or should i use a boot disk?
Sorry for being a pain but i would like to get this app set up ASAP.
Thanks again everyone

Let's say your installation is here > C:\Program Files\ERDNT.

To restore:
1/ Press F8 when booting & choose 'safe mode with a command prompt. That gets you here > C:\
2/ Type cd Progra~1 press enter. Gets you here > C:\Progra~1
3/ Type cd ERDNT press enter. Gets you here > C:\Progra~1\ERDNT
4/ Now type ERUNT press enter & away it goes.

Hipster doofus
Of course! thanks very much.
Thanks for all your help everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back