XP will not boot.

K

Kaila Yu

Ok to start things off. There is NOTHING wrong with my hardware WHATSOEVER. If you decide that there is a problem with my hardware please refrain from answering please! Otherwise I need help badly :) Ok, last thing I remember about this hard drive was that it crashed for no reason. When I rebooted the bios knew my hard drive and other devices were there and when XP was just going to go to the boot screen, BAM. Reset. I tried hitting F8 and going to safe mode but it won't even let me go that far. I can access the drive in DOS, otherwise its pretty much a "format me now" drive. I just installed XP like 3 days ago too. What a shame. If there aren't any good relevant responses in 12 hours, I'm going to reinstall once again. Please no hardware replys. Thanks.

Boot from the XP disk and try and go into the recovery console. then type fixboot, and fixmbr to write a new boot record to the drive, if that still doesn't work do a repair installation and see if that will get ya in.

Yeah, you said that your hardware is fine. But did you check you Power Supply? Did you check your Memory Modules? If the PSU is funky it will not let it boot. Your BIOS will still list everything o.k. If the Mem Module is not seated correctly or just bad, it will not boot. Otherwise a repair install or complete reinstall is probably in order if you can't do a fixboot from the recovery console.

um. i dislike your "its probably a hardware problem" reply. I'm running on a different hard drive right now. nothing is wrong with my hard drive. *refrains from flaming*

I think Theauditors was joking Kaila Yu. You WILL get that on occacion here. :) But we still try to help. Lighten up. We know it's frustrating when any of us have problems with our Machines. :)
I had a similar prob and it turned out to be a Memory prob. I have a freind who also had a similar situation, it turned out to be his Power Supply. The HD in both situations was never an issue. All other Hardware were perfect.

A similar problem happened to me and i just booted from the disk a couple of times, and the problem went.

Originally posted by Kaila Yu
um. i dislike your "its probably a hardware problem" reply. I'm running on a different hard drive right now. nothing is wrong with my hard drive. *refrains from flaming*

it 'could' be your hardware though. not your hard drive but as some people pointed out, it could be a badly seated ram stick etc...

hmmm this is wierd, if you are positive it is not your hardware, why post it on the hardware section of the forums? hmmmm i guess its like tootsie pop we will never really know!

nIabI

This has happened to me in the past on XP:

Unmountable Boot Volume

headshake.gif

Welp. I gave up and reinstalled. Thanks for your hardware help. >:[

Next time, read what Qumahlin suggested and use the Windows XP CD and use the console on there to repair/analyze the situation. If that doesn't work then MAYBE it is hardware related.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back