XP VPN Server

P

Phogoff

I am attempting to setup XP's built in VPN server behind an efficient networks speedstream 5861 cable\dsl router using nat. I would like to know what ports need to be forwarded for everything to work. Any help would be appreciated.

can't do it dude. you need some sort of a server system, like win2k server or .net, to run a VPN server. XP home or pro can only be a VPN client. if you do manage to do it i think ur NAT firewall is gonna cause you probs. basicly the way a nat firewall work is it takes the packets from ur private network and replaces you ip in their header with the ip of you router. when you have a VPN the packets transmitted accross the VPN are read only. this is a built in security feature of VPNs. this will cause you a problem because your NAT router will not be able to write its ip address to the packets. if you router supports L2TP or PPTP then all is good. if it doesn't then i don't think it will work.

good luck
oDin.

You actually can configure XP to accept a VPN connection (It will only accept one connection at a time, but that is all i need). Here is how:

Configure Windows XP Professional to accept incoming connections

My problem is knowing what ports to forward on the router to get it to work. I believe that I've found those, but can't test until later this evening. In order for PPTP to work you need to forward port 1723 (TCP) to the correct internal ip as well as GRE(Protocol ID 47) port 0.

Im just hoping it will work as PPTP, cause XP's default is L2TP and I don't know what needs to be forwarded for L2TP.

kewl man thanks...didn't know you could set up a vpn server in XP pro.

oDin.

Originally posted by Phogoff
You actually can configure XP to accept a VPN connection (It will only accept one connection at a time, but that is all i need). Here is how:

Configure Windows XP Professional to accept incoming connections

My problem is knowing what ports to forward on the router to get it to work. I believe that I've found those, but can't test until later this evening. In order for PPTP to work you need to forward port 1723 (TCP) to the correct internal ip as well as GRE(Protocol ID 47) port 0.

Im just hoping it will work as PPTP, cause XP's default is L2TP and I don't know what needs to be forwarded for L2TP.

hey thta link is for members only. can u log in and copy and paste the text here for that. im extremely interested in that

Heya...

Membership is free - just sign up, there is some good stuff at techrepublic from time to time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back