XP&Vista dualbooting Question

andy_rose

OSNN Veteran Addict
Hi fellow members and friends.
Ok, I have searched up, down, here and there and cant find any decent answers to my problem.
First off I installed xp. Then I installed Vista SP1 on a new partition.
So far so good. XP was my C drive, while Vista is my D drive. And when I boot up my comp I get an option to what OS I wanna boot up.
Now, my problem is that when I boot up XP, it is, as it should be, located at the C partition. So now, if I reboot and start up my Vista partition, now suddenly it is my C drive, while XP is at D...???
Why is that? I want XP to stay at c, while Vista should be D.
I tried EasyBSD and assigned the letters according to my preferences...but the problem is still there. What can I do?
Will it be better to install Vista first?
Any help will be accepted with cookies and love :D

ok..so in other words, it is supposed to do that, and it wont conflict with apps and games I install on the different OS's eventhough they both show up as C when in it?
Another thing, what OS is best to install first, XP sp2 or Vista sp1?

XP can only do a first install. Vista does not have that problem.

XP first..

C: and D: are just drive letters.. logical naming of the structure and is relative to which OS you are on.

The partition table and the LUN ID stay the same.

My Laptop came with VISTA pre-installed on C:.
I installed XP onto E: The DVD is D:
I have been running that way since last September with no problems.

My VISTA is always C:, my XP is always E:. They do not change.

http://apcmag.com/node/5162/

My Dual-boot switches drive letters also, with no issues. You should always install the older OS first. If you have any issues with the startup, use VistaBootPro. It is the esaiest way to switch default boot OS, or to remove an OS completely, or if it gets broken you can fix it.

Edit: I forgot to mention VistaBootPro is meant to be used with Vista if it wasn't obvious. It can be run from XP though, to take care of any issues.

Last edited:
Least hassles, install XP first then Vista second. Vista will automatically pick up XP and add it to the bootloader. As mentioned previously, VistaBootPro is a great little utility to manipulate the uselessly complicated Vista bootloader. I just used it to wipe the Vista loader and restore XP's as I removed Vista a few days ago. Vista decided that my network was supposed to be local only and I had enough.

ok, thank you guys. my biggest consern was that the OS partitions changed letters according to what OS i currently was in. But if that is the way of the dragon, i'm good to go :)

Hi fellow members and friends.
Ok, I have searched up, down, here and there and cant find any decent answers to my problem.
First off I installed xp. Then I installed Vista SP1 on a new partition.
So far so good. XP was my C drive, while Vista is my D drive. And when I boot up my comp I get an option to what OS I wanna boot up.
Now, my problem is that when I boot up XP, it is, as it should be, located at the C partition. So now, if I reboot and start up my Vista partition, now suddenly it is my C drive, while XP is at D...???
Why is that? I want XP to stay at c, while Vista should be D.
I tried EasyBSD and assigned the letters according to my preferences...but the problem is still there. What can I do?
Will it be better to install Vista first?
Any help will be accepted with cookies and love :D

Note : You can install Vista first and then realign the boot options with the Boot repair function when booting from the Vista CD

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back