XP User Accounts... Help

S

stevebor1

I have always used my Administrator account on xp and relized that i shoud be using my personal account, so that it would be easier to share my computer on the network.

Now that i loaded up my settings and programs on my administrator account, can i transfer all those settings and prefferances to a different user account? basically so those would be identical, so i can start working off my personal account?

help :(

Move or copy (not sure wich one) the folders in administrator to your personal account..

I'm not sure Windows will be happy about this (but I'm not sure). If not, it might better if you use the Transfer files and settings wizard. Make the backup on the Administrator account, restore it on the new account. You may have to copy the start menu and maybe reinstall some applications.

why can't you use your admin account again? i have xp pro....with 1 account only (admin) and i'm on a network with 3 other 'puters. everything is running smoothly.

sounds more like a network issue than a user account issue.

DONT COPY THE USER DIRECTORY CONTENTS OVER TO A NEW USER DIRECTORY

some 'application data' etc is user specific.....just copy across the static stuff, like your favourites and MYDOCS folder etc...

Maybe it wasnt a clear post, but you can certainley copy the start menu and desktop to the "new user" in X:\Documents and Settings\Administrator to X:\Documents and Settings\New User.

I should have been more specific.

the files and settings wizars is the easiest and the best way to go about it

what am i doing wrong here..dayle..trying to post a link that works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back