XP Updates

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
When I update XP from the Microsoft Site I find that it enters as a Hotfix under Add/ Remove. I now have several of these listed, do I need to have them there?

I have had the the so called 'Hot Fixes' from Microsoft installed, but it has caused more problems than I did without them. Now I have a clean installed XP Pro without the hot fixes and it is rock solid. You don't need all those fixes to run the XP. Whether compatibility issues or restarting, hibernation, powermanagement issues. The original XP can do without the fixes. I have them running on the companies several computers. They are all running just fine. At home all games and many softwares are working just right.

Originally posted by purush
I have had the the so called 'Hot Fixes' from Microsoft installed, but it has caused more problems than I did without them. Now I have a clean installed XP Pro without the hot fixes and it is rock solid. You don't need all those fixes to run the XP. Whether compatibility issues or restarting, hibernation, powermanagement issues. The original XP can do without the fixes. I have them running on the companies several computers. They are all running just fine. At home all games and many softwares are working just right.

WTF!!.. Are you totally insaine!!.. how can you say XP doesnt need the hotfixes.

Capricorn, dont listen to purush, thats the daftest comment I've heard in along time.

Sorry Purush, but it was daft.

hotFixes are simply updates that wont require a reboot they can be installed while your computer is "Hot", running. As oppsed to updates which often require a reboot as they alter critical system files.

Go through them and check for the ones you need, you wont need all of them.

Strange but all the Hotfixes I downloaded from the Win XP Update site told me that I needed to reboot after it installed them!

While we are on the subject I've got all the latest patches & updates but I've tweaked my windows into stupid mode & cant get it back. Cut a long story short I need to do a fresh install & dont want to download all the fixes all over again, have these updates been stored on my pc some where ? if so where. If they've been deleted as I suspect they have, how do I download & save them for a later date?

click the link in the start menu to goto Windows Update as soon as IE comes up then click stop, and change the bit after corp=fasle to corp=true, you should then be able to save the updates for use later

You can click on Windows Update Catalog in the lower left hand portion of the page, pick your OS in the drop down list. You will get 2 lists of updates which you can download and store on your hard drive or burn to CD as I did.

I've got a probem after updating Windows too . If I go on standby or into hibernation the mouse stops working when I come back . I just have to restart to make the mouse work.
Any solutions ?

Thanks for that. I wouldn’t of figured that out in million years........ HE HE HE. CANT SEE THE WOOD FOR THE TREES.

Should just point out that you need to Personalize the page before the Update Catalogue is shown.

Aha found it after hours of going round in the wrong circles. Thanks for that. He he he. Cant see the wood for the trees

Anyone else find it confusing when they choose to save the Updates to the Hard Drive. Microsoft creates so many folders that finding what you want is difficult. I don't know why they couldn't just use something like WinZip. Anyone found any easy way of saving these downloads? I have more than one computer so I like to download and copy to CD so as to install on the others.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back