XP-Tweaking Guide

Lex, use 7-zip. It's the best compression software out there.

From what I understand you will need the command line options to get super compression though. Can't help with that sorry.

Feel like I've taken a trip around the world. For us that aren't as experienced, the journey can seem lengthy at times.

Can't even remember where I first learned of v1.3 of the XP Tweaks, but I went all over looking for it. I have a new XP Pro install, so I thought it would be a learning experience...and it has been so far.

I've been browsing around the forum for several hours and must say...where have you all been? Great forum with tons of info. Hope you allow ijuts to lower the curve;)

Here is my first dumb question: How do you install/open the downloaded xp-tweaks file? After the download, it shows a .msi file extension. What's that?

I'm going crazy wanting to see this tweak guide, especially after everyone is giving it a 2 thumbs up.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated,

riski1

The .msi extension is microsoft installer.

Just double-click it and it will install.:D

And don't worry, nothing bad will happen. :D

Oh... and welcome. Enjoy the Forums and have fun. Learn new things or post new things for others and enjoy yourself do so. :D

Don't forget the "Lounge" section... it's the more laid back part of this place. :p

But please oh please READ THE -->GUIDELINES<-- :cool:

To put your minds at ease...I've read the GUIDELINES:) Being a gentleman and scholar, I try to abide by the rules;)

When I double click the msi file to install, the Open with dialog box pops up. Am I missing some sort of installer on my 98SE PCs?

Lounge? oh boy...with cold beverages of various flavors?

I'll buy the next round if I get this guide opened:D

Riski1

Very good work - There is a lot of info in it, very useful.

Originally posted by riski1
To put your minds at ease...I've read the GUIDELINES:) Being a gentleman and scholar, I try to abide by the rules;)

When I double click the msi file to install, the Open with dialog box pops up. Am I missing some sort of installer on my 98SE PCs?

Lounge? oh boy...with cold beverages of various flavors?

I'll buy the next round if I get this guide opened:D

Riski1

First, this tweaks guide is for windoz XP ( you may be thinkin about upgrading, I don't know)

Second, you must have Windows Installer, INSTALLED on your computer. The MSI extension is opened by msiexec.exe, the standard installer on Windows 98, ME, 2000 and NT. If it isn't on you machine, you need to download and install first from Microsoft, for Windows 9x or ME.

You have NOT got Windows Installer INSTALLED on your computer thats why its showing the dialogue box [OPEN WITH].

Download the file, the recent ver of Windows Installer save to desktop Left Click on it to Install to your computer. Then Click on the .msi files again they should now open with [WINDOWS INSTALLER]

The file is: InstMsi.exe... click here

Hi,

I can´t download your guide, all the time i receive a message saying that i cant leech the file.

Dou you have another place to download it (mirror).

When i put user and pass i receive a message that the file not exists.

May you help me ? I´ll be grateful ...

Tks,

F@bio Pimentel

Originally posted by avdhorst
Several months I developing a XP-tweaking Guide, which is more now then only a tweaking guide. It's now the time to share it with you.
You can download it at:

http://windowsxp.homedns.org

Direct Download

Have Fun!

Lex.
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by gonaads
First, this tweaks guide is for windoz XP ( you may be thinkin about upgrading, I don't know)

Second, you must have Windows Installer, INSTALLED on your computer. The MSI extension is opened by msiexec.exe, the standard installer on Windows 98, ME, 2000 and NT. If it isn't on you machine, you need to download and install first from Microsoft, for Windows 9x or ME.

You have NOT got Windows Installer INSTALLED on your computer thats why its showing the dialogue box [OPEN WITH].

Download the file, the recent ver of Windows Installer save to desktop Left Click on it to Install to your computer. Then Click on the .msi files again they should now open with [WINDOWS INSTALLER]

The file is: InstMsi.exe... click here

Hey naads...remind me to ask the story behind your choice of username :) It's gotta be good.

Anyway, the rest of the story. I've got XP on my other PC and am more or less just playing with the features. Somehow, I keep hanging onto my old 98SE machine.

Thanks big time for the link to the Windows installer and heading me in the right direction. Tried the 1.1 version of the Windows installer, but when I tried to execute the tweak app I got a message that I needed to update my version of the Windows installer.

Headed to MS, searched and found a v2.0 of the installer, and in minutes, it worked. The Tweak Guide is really cool to this novice and I will be cautious with my playing...for now.

Wanted to ad the tip about the v2.0 installer just in case anyone one else happened along.

Now, about that handle?:D

Riski1

Originally posted by riski1
Hey naads...remind me to ask the story behind your choice of username :) It's gotta be good...

Somehow, I keep hanging onto my old 98SE machine...

Now, about that handle?:D

Riski1

It's the name I gave my DIABLO Barbarian Character.

I've had it all the way through Diablo II LOD (I added an extra "A" to the name of course):D

And 98SE was a great OS... I had that damn thing on my box and tweaked "ta hell and back" :p

And I had it to where it would not crash it ran months on end and no crash. :( I miss that thing :(

Now we tweak XP 'till it breaks. :D

BTW... Put up the MS link to ver 2.0 of the installer, in case anyone else needs it. :)

Your Diablo Barbarian character musta had biggins for that handle...:D

Sorry for not providing a link, but here goes:

Win 9x

Win NT 4 and 2000

And some additional info that may help:
MSI 2.0 info

Hope this will benefit someone cause I don't get the opportunity to help much. I'm still in the newbie or ijut state :D

Thanks for all your guidance...naads on the go:)

riski1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back