XP Tweak from Longhorn - Superfetch

762x51

168gr BTHP
Interesting. Haven't tried it yet myself, but some folks on the AMD forum said it helped boot time a bit. Use at your own risk of course. :)

2nd article down:
------------------

http://theinquirer.net/?article=24749

"Subject: Microsoft claims Longhorn will be, er, faster

The only reason why its faster is they added a superfetch feature to the prefetcher. If you look at the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp

EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn
EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

Wow, Microsoft just added a feature that was already there in xp."

Interesting, I will have to try this at home, nice post!

this sounds a little suspicious...sort of like if I put the value :[faster faster computer] and set that to a value of one it will speed my box

any time there is a reg hack that improves performance and the default value is not set to optimum I am suspicous...why wouldn't ms set the value as best it could out of the box?

anyway, if it's a worthless value the os won't see it, so I don't see a harm in giving it a go

report back please

Last edited:
regardless of how it works, would it be anything noticeable? I tried BootVis awhile back, but there have since been conflicting reports on the reliability of it's boot-time reporting.

kcnychief said:
regardless of how it works, would it be anything noticeable? I tried BootVis awhile back, but there have since been conflicting reports on the reliability of it's boot-time reporting.
all bootvis does is the same thing xp's native optimization does every three days anyway

What if you don't reboot every three days?

I dunno, as I don't reboot very often. How about a way to increase WMP10 library load time. With a large library it takes a couple seconds to load.

But that would make sense and actually be beneficial.

And as a last rant, what does boot time actually prove anyway, that your PC needs to reboot often, but DAMN can it do it quick?

Steevo said:

I dunno, as I don't reboot very often. How about a way to increase WMP10 library load time. With a large library it takes a couple seconds to load.

But that would make sense and actually be beneficial.

And as a last rant, what does boot time actually prove anyway, that your PC needs to reboot often, but DAMN can it do it quick?

heh, yeah right? Dude, why WMP? Use winamp, much less resources!

Steevo said:

I dunno, as I don't reboot very often.

paste this into run it will start the task immediately;

Code:
Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Last edited:
I use both, but mainly WMP. So far as resources, with a gig of RAM it doesn't even dent it.

I tried it on my test rig, did not notice any improvements so far. boot time is the same, loading apps and so on... i change it back to the org prefetch setting...

tdinc said:
I tried it on my test rig, did not notice any improvements so far. boot time is the same, loading apps and so on... i change it back to the org prefetch setting...

I really don't see this being a noticeable speed gain feature. If indeed Longhorn, now Vista, will be faster, it is more than likely due to the different file system WinFS.

Prefetching is a feature of the kernel. This "tweak" won't do anything on an XP system since the kernel doesn't recognize it. It's as good as adding a random DWORD entry into the registry called "OverclockCPUTo25GHz" and expecting magic to happen. :)

Microsoft tweaks the NT kernel in each new OS. Prefetching was added to XP. It will be improved (i.e. Superfetch) in Vista. Simple as that.

NetRyder said:
Prefetching is a feature of the kernel. This "tweak" won't do anything on an XP system since the kernel doesn't recognize it. It's as good as adding a random DWORD entry into the registry called "OverclockCPUTo25GHz" and expecting magic to happen. :)

Dude, not true. When I put in a DWORD for "RunMacOSXonMyPCsinceAppleisSwitchingtoIntelBasedCPU's" woah, my computer reached out of the monitor and *slapped* me

haha, thank god it's Friday :)

kcnychief said:
Dude, not true. When I put in a DWORD for "RunMacOSXonMyPCsinceAppleisSwitchingtoIntelBasedCPU's" woah, my computer reached out of the monitor and *slapped* me

haha, thank god it's Friday :)
laugh.gif

NetRyder said:

Microsoft tweaks the NT kernel in each new OS. Prefetching was added to XP. It will be improved (i.e. Superfetch) in Vista. Simple as that.
And just to clear up any doubts, you can try examining the strings within ntoskrnl.exe. Here's what you get:

PREFETCHER
/prefetch:
\BaseNamedObjects\PrefetchTracesReady
EnablePrefetcher
\BaseNamedObjects\PrefetchParametersChanged
\Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
EnablePrefetcher
MmPrefetchPages
RtlPrefetchMemoryNonTemporal
\Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
Prefetch
Notice how there's nothing related to Superfetch in there? :)

She's a "Superfetch", "Superfetch". She's Superfetchy yeooow... "Superfetch"

NT Kernel sing...

Woooo wooo woo wo woooo...

"Superfetch!"

:rolleyes:

*runs away*

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

gonaads said:

:laugh: just spit my slurpee all over my keyboard...:laugh:

sorry for being off-topic

gonaads said:

NT Kernel sing...

Woooo wooo woo wo woooo...

"Superfetch!"

:rolleyes:

*runs away*

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Shame on you, you didn't use "EDIT:". I saw your original post and it was missing most of that :) Haha, caught you!

tdinc said:
:laugh: just spit my slurpee all over my keyboard...:laugh:

sorry for being off-topic

Hmmm, I'm sorry, but you leave me no choice. I'm going to connect to your machine, and create a new DWORD value called "DoNotLetUserDrinkatComputerBecauseSugarisbadforStickyKeys" and set the Hexidecimal value to FF

You have been warned :mad:

HA!!
DWORD

"ResetLetUserDrinkAtKeyboardIfDrinkIsCoffee"

HKLM\SoftwareMicrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back