XP Temp Files gone Insane!

S

Sinister

Hi All,

My hidden OS temp file located here "C:\Documents and Settings\Sinister\Local Settings\Temp" is always filling up with thousands and thousands of files which ends totalling gigs if I leave it for days and dont delete them.

Why is this happening? Its driving me crazy having to manually delete this files.

Can someone help :(

You have programs that are making temporary files
for its current use -
on my system the programs are
Kazaa
Banshee screamer Alarm
Statbar
It leaves a right mess :-(
every time I defrag I delete the contents of this folder
little trick to expose that folder
change you start menu to classic
now drag & drop the temp folder on to the start button
Change your start menu back again (if you want)
It appears as a cascading folder @ the top of the start menu
From Docs & settings you can now move this folder to where ever you like & it will keep its cascading attributes
Now you can browse the folder from either the start menu
or from a tool bar

;-)

It's a virus / worm. Run NAV. I believe it's the Benjamin Worm.

Originally posted by allan
It's a virus / worm. Run NAV. I believe it's the Benjamin Worm.
:eek:
Missed that one Allan
well spotted
;)

Thanks TwoZ - but remember, I see this stuff all the time. ;)

You know somtimes I just cant see the wood for trees

;-)

Well, I do feel that one of my strengths in fielding support inquiries (perhaps my only one) is common sense. I'm one of those people who does not think "zebras" when I hear hoofbeats.

I am running Bitdefender Antivirus and did a full scan....and nothing comes up as being a virus.

What type of files appear in there ????
do you get things like :-

Chterbahn Designer -full-downloader
Acrobat Capture 3.0 -full-downloader
Age of Empires-Games-full-downloader
American Pie 2 -divx-full-downloader
Baseball 2001-Games-full-downloader
Metallica - Blackened
ac dc - Fight For Your Right

OR

~DF96C1.tmp
kmdb.html
Twain001.Mtx
TWAIN.LOG
XQ_XSET_Cache_XPL_1
zbpgbqfin.ABI
utl1.tmpdir

:confused:

Don't know anything about BiteDefender - it may or may not have definitions current enough for this worm. You might want to do a search for the benjamin worm and download one of the free utilites that are known to identify and remove it.

While I can't be 100% certain you have this virus / worm, it sure sounds like it.

With it being in Docs & settings ????
Most Virii/Worms head for the windows folder

The size of the worm can vary because the worm pads copies of itself with garbage bytes. The worm creates the C:\%Windows%\Temp\Sys32 folder. It then changes the KaZaA download folder settings so that this new folder is accessible to other KazaA network users. This allows other KaZaA users to download files from that location.

The benjamin worm usually creates a Temp directory in \Windows and fills it up. I'm guessing it went to this temp directory, but obviously I may be mistaken. It may be some other virus. It also may not - but there's absolutely no downside to a thorough virus scan with a top notch AV like NAV or McAfee, etc.

Not arguing with you TwoZ - you may very well be correct and I may be wrong. Just erring on the side of caution.

it was just a thought Allan

Quite right about the virus scan

with the amount of virii out there
It is best practice to update AV definitions regularly
as well as doing a thorough scan on your machine

;-)

Thanks guys for your replies...... Bitdefender has the definitions to search and destroy the Benjamin Worm.....of which i do not have.

TwoZigzagColt45:

The files are like:

~DF96C1.tmp
kmdb.html
Twain001.Mtx
TWAIN.LOG
XQ_XSET_Cache_XPL_1
zbpgbqfin.ABI
utl1.tmpdir
*.class
*.ungz
etc

Thousands of 1kb files................I wish i knew what was going on.....i know this folder is for temporary files the OS uses....but his is ridiculous as these dont clear off when their use is over....they saty in that folder permanently...until i delete them myself..............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

First time I came across this folder I was shocked @ how quickly it filled with temp files. Not happy with what was going on I indentified the program causing all these temp files & just use the program as little as possible.
Sorry its not much help :-(
This is yet another XP quirk

;-)

But Im sure this doesnt happen to other people.....I mean I have a 3gig partition for the OS and if i dont delete the files in that folder after a coupla days it fills up with like tens of thousands of files totalling the gigs....and its hell trying to delete them.....and when u delete some...more pop up in their place...

All my friends who have XP dont have this problem.....I guess I will never know the answer.

Originally posted by Sinister
tens of thousands of files totalling the gigs

Somethings not right
Do you know which program is creating these files ???
If not run MSCONFIG
Start up tab disable all & reboot
enable each entry 1 by 1
until you find the offending program

;)

OK Lets Get This Sorted!

Ok Folks...I have located the sources that is using my Temp folder as a dumping ground.

1) Its my email program Pocomail.....it does this when i access my inbox folder....so now must look for a new email client.

2) Its my bloody Start Menu.....when i go to start menu and choose all programs and go to the relevant shortcut links.......XP bloody puts all the shortcut applications in the Temp folder.
For example if i move my mouse button to the Photoshop Startup Menu ... the program shortcuts will show....for these to show...XP dumps the full application *.exe file into the Temp folder........so as you can see if i just move my mouse through my start menu....every single program shortcut gets put into the Temp folder.

If i do it again a few minutes later.....the process is repeated...This also happens when i move my mouse over a Quicklaunch shortcut.

Now these bloody files stay in the Temp folder permanently until i manually delete them!

Now does anyone have any idea whats wrong and what to do? Thanx

:confused:
That is definitely not right
never heard of this problem before :-(

Maybe someone has come across this before & can help ???

If not it might be worth doing a full repair

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back