XP - STOP 0x0000007F error

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
I'm getting this error when I reboot to defrag system files with PerfectDisk (version 10 but also tried 11). This is the only time I see this (or any other) blue screen error.

System:
AMD x3 720 (unlocked 4th core and clocked to 3.2GHz)
Asus 785G board (w. gfx)
4 GB OCZ DDR2-800
2x 1TB Hitachi HDD

Microsoft claims it is a hardware error - RAM, MB or mismatched memeory modules. None of which should be affected by Perfect Disk upgrades.

But if you look at their detail info it could result from perfect disk trying to check more hard disk than exists. Still not a solution (other than a different optimizer, I've stayed with perfect disk 6 because all the latter ones were clunkier or had issues.)...

From MS
To determine an approximate cause, examine the parameters at the top of the STOP screen:
**STOP 0x0000007F (0x000000XX, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
The most important parameter is the first one (0x0000000X) which may have several different values. The cause of this trap can vary, depending on the value of this parameter. All traps that cause a STOP 0x7F can be found in any Intel x86 microprocessor reference manual as they are specific to the x86 platform. Here are some of the most common ones: Values Meaning ---------- -------------------- 0x00000000 Divide by Zero Error
0x00000004 Overflow
0x00000005 Bounds Check Fault
0x00000006 Invalid Opcode
0x00000008 Double Fault

Yeah, I've read MS's KB's on the error. I should add that if I reboot after the BSOD, PerfectDisk will attempt to defrag sys files on C: except that it stops and says something to affect that it cannot have exclusive access to C:. I'm assuming that another driver is locking access to the drive. The only thing that really jumps out at me is that I am running in AHCI mode and had some issues originally getting the ATI AHCI drivers installed. I would prefer not to switch back to IDE mode...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back