XP SP2 and local pages/scripts

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
Hello all, been a long time since I've been here, but hopefully everyone is still as friendly as they used to be...

I have recently installed SP2 on my XP box and when I try to view locally saved web pages that have any type of scripting, I get the information bar asking me to allow or disallow the scripting. Since my site is all about scripting, this is turning out to be a pain in the butt when viewing many different pages.

This was easy enough to disable at work since I can just put my files on the intranet domain controller's shared drive, set that domain to the trusted site list in IE's security settings, and run/edit the pages/scripts from there.

However, at home, everything is saved on my C drive and there is no "domain" to allow. I've tried entering "file:///*" into the trusted list (and all kinds of variations) to no effect. Actually, I usually get a message saying that some characters I'm using are invalid. I've tried setting the intranet zone to low security and that doesn't help either.

I've been unsuccessful trying to use the M$ knowledge base for answers, and trying to come up with a meaningful Google seach that returns valid responses is a tad difficult given my problem.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how can I solve this???

Well, after needlessly fiddling with the stupid security zones for quite a while, I found the answer and it is so easy it's embarassing:

Control Panel -> Internet Options -> "Advanced" tab -> scroll down to the "Security" section -> Check "Allow active content to run files in My Computer".

Wow thats handy :)
It is one of those things I do experience but am too lazy/impatient to fix :)
Oh and welcome back ;)

Electronic Punk said:
Wow thats handy :)
It is one of those things I do experience but am too lazy/impatient to fix :)
Oh and welcome back ;)

Glad to be back! You know, I come back for a few days, then forget about this site for a while (yes, I know, that is sacriledge :)), only to come back again when something has me totally stymied. Now I think I'll go browsing around the forums and see what's new.

Anyway, hope my trials and tribulations will help someone else out...

One problem that may occur from having this enabled is active content will not be blocked so the information bar that appears when content is blocked then asks you whether or not to allow it to run will not appear.
May be a security issue is all I am saying.

American Zombie said:
One problem that may occur from having this enabled is active content will not be blocked so the information bar that appears when content is blocked then asks you whether or not to allow it to run will not appear.
May be a security issue is all I am saying.

Yeah, I understand the risks, but it only effects local files. I still get the warning when downloading files and such. I figure the between my Norton Antivirus, Zonealarm firewall, Router/switch firewall, and Adaware, I am fairly safe from all but the most malicious attacks. Even then, I have a fairly current backup set on an external drive if something does make it through. Plus, I'm not one to press "Ok" to any window that pops up. The kids on the other hand...

Thanks for the tip though. :)

scriptasylum: I Actually saw one of your comments about osnn.net when I was searching for osnn.net back in the early days :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back