XP SP1 Thoughts and Opinions

C

craigmc

Ok I've Just Installed XP SP1 and I thought I would make this post for people to give their thoughts and information on sp1 and its new features such as WMP 9 And Set Program Access and Defaults.

Post Away Folks

Craig

SP1 has WMP 9 included in it now? you sure you installed SP1?

:cool:

I assumed It was, I installed the WMP 9 Beta before SP1 and after SP1 it wasnt beta anymore

Originally posted by craigmc
Ok I've Just Installed XP SP1 and I thought I would make this post for people to give their thoughts and information on sp1 and its new features such as WMP 9 And Set Program Access and Defaults.

Post Away Folks

Craig

WMP 9 doesn't come with SP1, it's still in beta. As for the Set Program Access and Defaults...never use it myself.

I did find however that I get better frame rates in games after applying SP1, not a huge improvement but enough to notice.

ya no wmp9 with sp1

mine still 8

is there supposed to be any increase in system performance with sp1?

i was expecting something of a dramatic change.......oh well if it works:) cant complain

Are there any XP SP1 holdouts among you? I have all the recent security patches that are relevant to my machine. I use Outlook Express/Internet Explorer/MSN messenger and WMP so I don't feel the need to have the ability to uninstall those programs. I applied the IE sp1 but have so far resisted the SP1 since I haven't read anything that would compel me to believe I need it.

I have a legit (paid) version of XP home. I have all the recommended updates. Are there any really compelling reasons for me to install sp1 or am I being overly cautious?

I have yet to install SP1 mainly because I am waiting till I have some time to mess with my computer in case it makes it cease to work.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Check this out & make your own mind up.

Yeah, and here is the work around if you don't have sp1....

Boot Camp tip
As mentioned earlier in the show, Microsoft released a service pack for Windows XP. It fixes a serious security hole that Microsoft has known about for more than 11 weeks.

The security hole involves Windows XP help. The hole lets anyone put a link on a website that can wipe out certain hard-drive directories.

If, for whatever reason, you don't or can't download the service pack, there is an alternative. There's a file you can rename or delete to fix the security hole. Here are the steps:

Perform a search for a file on your C drive called uplddrvinfo.htm.
Once you've found the file, delete it or rename it. Doing so will not hinder your ability to use Windows XP.

I've got the file downloaded, but I'm also debating installing it. I installed sp3 on windows 2000, it seems to work pretty well. but enough about windows 2000, this is an XP forum only. I just have older computers that won't run XP very well.

The sp1 install does give you the optoin to create a backup in case you want to get rid of it.

Think I'll...

I'll wait till more is known about the contents and M$-side FX of the SP. Since by far the most positive review I've read is "nothing bad has happened,,and all I got are some uninstall options" I don't see the absolute necessity of installing and taking the risk of the less positive reviews (can't find sites, slow as hell, drivers messed up).
The backdoor with the helpfile was known for some time, so that's covered here at least.

I have read about so many problems with sp1, not to say everyone had problems.

I also read that the best way to install it to get or make yourself a slipstreamed WindowsXP and sp1 disk and do a fresh install, not an upgrade. I am still waiting.

WOW

OK, I just had to do it...installed the slackpack anyway and it l-o-a-d-e-d and i-n-s-t-a-l-l-e-d veeeeerrryyyy slow BUT...after rebooting I had THE best performance gain ever after a MS "fix". This fix is a real fix, a shot of heroine for my box peeps, it runs WONDERFULLY!!

I dunno what the SP contained, but it seems to have done wonders for my sys performance.

Then again, I might wake up in a few hours and realize it was all a dream I had while waiting for the install to finish...

D.

"I'm as confused as a baby at a topless bar!"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back