XP SP1 Error Message

R

RyanC

I've tried to install the SP1 pack from the Windows Update site, but I keep getting these messages (see attatchment)

I have all other programs closed including any antivirus software.

I also have Crytography enabled.

Oh, and I'm also running a legit copy of XP Home.

In other Update News, when I go to d/l the IE 6 SP1, I get messages about the download not being Windows Compatible (something about Windows logo). However, I dont care much about the IE SP because I know it is included in the XP SP. Just curious as to why this message is popping up. Could it be that MS doesnt trust its own software?

An update: I've tried downloading the 133 MB file and installing from my HD rather than from the update, and the same message comes back to haunt me.

System Restore isnt working either. I'm able to launch it, but when my computer boots back up, it tells me no changes have been made.

go into sercives and look for Crytography and choose it and make sure that it's started, if it is, try refreshing it.

Yes, it is started and I refreshed it - no luck.

Somebody mentioned something in another post about scanning windows files to make sure they are intact and the original versions, so I'm going to try this. I've been getting a few file protection errors lately, and I wonder if this has anything to do with my recent install troubles.

The way this file scanning is going, its going to be a long time (well over 2 hrs).

I'm also having the same message appear. Tried restarting cryptographic still no joy. Anyone any more ideas

Chopper, did you do anything recently to your system that might be causing this?

Are you running to Operating Systems?

I recently tried to install Adobe Acrobat 5.0, which has been causing several problems on my system.

Have you played around with any of the services recently?

Have you had problems with Windows Update in the past?

Are you able to install IE SP1?

Do you have Tweak UI installed?

Maybe we can solve this problem ourselves?

I have not added anthing recently. I am only using xp pro. I do have acrobat 5 on my system but it has been on for a long time with no problems. I have installed an update from microsoft which cured a problem I had with GTA 3 displaying text at the start of the game

To get sytem restore working again & you don't want/need the restore points do this> (all restore points will be deleted)

Turn system restore off, reboot, turn it back on. It will now work OK.

Thanks, but I've settled on formatting and reinstalling. Even Win2000 on my dual boot computer was acting strange (did not recognize my NIC card, wouldnt let me install drivers for it, CD's wouldnt burn, etc.). So instead I'm just going to run a single OS laptop with a separate partition for backup purposes rather than 2 OS's. I'm also going to CleanSweep every installation.

"Hipster Doofus" - isnt that what Elaine called Kramer once? :D (Seinfeld-buff here).

Damn you Microsoft...when are you going to make an OS that actually works?

This is a solution to the problem I found on another site and it has just worked for me:-

Rename the whole CatRoot2 to catroot.old. Close Windows Explorer. (windows/system32/CatRoot2

Install SPI - voila!...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back