xp sometimes restarts to first time use

N

nobel

For some unknown reason every now and then my windows starts up as if its the first time its been used. All settings have been reset, my email accounts aren't set, it asks if i want a tour etc.

All installed programs are still there and thankfully system restore has all the checkpoints in order for me to do a system restore to correct the problem.

Does anybody have any idea as to why this happens - I use my pc everyday and this has happened about 6 times in as many months. I cant think of anything that triggers this??

Huh - Now that's interesting!!! I've got to say I've never heard of this before. I will be very interested to follow this thread. Meanwhile I'd like to ask a couple of questions and make one suggestion if I may.

1) Forgive me for asking, but is this a legitimate copy of XP and was it properly activated?

2) New install or upgrade over another OS?

3) Are you using the newest drivers for all of your HW (obtained from the OEM Web sites, not Windows Update)?

4) Have you checked for any bios updates?

5) Have you looked in event viewer for any hints?

6) Do you have any "unusual" applications that you use?

7) Have you checked in msconfig to see if there's anything starting that looks strange to you?

8) Have you done a complete virus scan and spyware scan (ad-aware and/or spybot)?

9) Look in task manager and see if anything is eating CPU cycles

10) Check temperature (the system's, not yours).

As a test fix, you can do a repair installation (boot to the XP CD and select the SECOND reapair option (about 4 screens in), not the first repair option.

Now thats a list!!

1) No - sorry, bought 95, 98, me, got fed up with paying Gates for uncomplete products lol

2) New install

3) As far as I'm aware - haven't checked recently though - will do

4) Bios is updated

5) Looked in event viewer - havent got a clue what to look for

6) Nothing 'unusual'

7) All looks fine - selective start up to stop unwanted apps to launch

8) Norton working in background - no spyware chech done - will do

9) Task manager is fine - all quiet

10) System temp ok

Strange one isnt it - doesnt really bother me as restore always takes me back - its just strange.

My guess is that it's related to #1. As a result I apologize but I can't / won't be able to try to help any further.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back