XP slowing down after windows update? Look here.

P

PlagueWielder

If you updated your Windows XP and installed the Critical Windows Update 811493 (Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling) and your system has slowed down lately you might want to remove it. I dont know whats wrong with this update but it slows the computer down a lot.

Mods, please make this a sticky.

Thanks

There's a few "fixes" available at the moment that are buggy, they are from SP2 which is still in Alpha stage

Well after I installed that update my system became screwed! I totally lost all of my graphics support and was stuck at a 4bit color! So I used the restore to go back before the update. But damn what the hell is M$ doing? This is like the 3rd time an update has caused me problems.

That would explain why the new system I built was running slow like molasses. Got rid of it and everything seems the way it should be :)

stupid m$ lagged that hell out of my comp, i thought i had a virus or something till i figured this morning i would come check the forums for any kind of update :cool: good thing i was about to format my hd :huh:

The messed up hotfix is listed in add/remove programs. I just un-installed it and computer is back to it's normal self. If you read what MS says about it a user would have to log on locally to do any harm to your computer so I see the risk as low...for me at least.

If you read what MS says about it a user would have to log on locally to do any harm to your computer so I see the risk as low...
Isn't that the way it is most of these patches. How often do you see people who have actually been compromised by these so called exploits/security problems? Compare that to the thousands (or is it millions) of people who have had problems with these on going security patches and the thousands of hours spent resolving them. Perusing various forums one sees post after post of problems that these 'critical patches' have created.

I for one am very selective about the updates I choose. Unless it will somehow enhance my computer or resolve a specicfic problem I'm having (rare), I ignore them. The last time I was forced to reformat was because of an IE patch, not some arcane, mostly theoretical security breach.

It is also for this reason I went to Mozilla, after seeing the dozens of updates for IE alone. I keep 2 images created with Drive image. A basic one (with SP1) on 4 cdr's, and a current one on a second partition. Don't need all those updates, less filling tastes great. When SP2 comes out I'll give it a shot, but with a fresh drive image waiting in the weeds.

To me that makes a lot of sense, I do basically the same, never seen any great running improvements by installing these patches

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back