xp slow login

mooo

thecyberninja
I was wondering if there is a way to boost the login speed for a domain on windowsXP. I have noticed that windows 2000 seems to be atleast 5-10x faster on login.
right now it takes about 4minutes to apply the settings and all that good stuff, which i feel is too long. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
mooo

In my experience 80% of the time this is a DNS problem.

Check it by explicitly setting the IP for your Preferred DNS server inthe connection on one of the slow machines and see if that fixesit. If so, you can leave it that way (possible GOTCHA! down theroad, tho...), or go find out why the DHCP server is giving out a badDNS server IP and fix it there.

FYI, advice: If you leave it set explicitly always add an Alternate DNS server too! (Doing this has saved my butt more than once!)

Good luck!

Yep, DNS is probably right. I ended up putting the Lan IP address of my Domain controller as my Primary DNS and the Lan IP address of my Router as the Secondary to clear up the slow logins and keep DNS working on the Internet.

Setup is : DSL Modem(PPPoE) > Router(Public IP from Modem) > PC's(DHCP from Router).

Tried all kinds of combinations before I got it to work.

EDIT: Wow, just noticed this was from October of last year. Sure hope this has been cleared up by now! :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back