XP Slow at shutdown

S

Stonhnj

I ran a search on the topic and found some info, but none of it seemed to apply....

I just finished building a PC (my first build). It's got an AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 1.5G DDR RAM, 80G HD, ASUS MoBo.

On that I loaded the full (not an upgrade) version of Windows XP. Everything seems to run fine at boot up - time from my pressing the power button to being able to work is just shy of 30 seconds.

The problem I have is at shutdown, and I wanted to see if I'm being nit-picky. After logging out then clicking the "Shut Off Computer" button, it takes 20-25 seconds to shut down. Considering I don't have a ton of software on it, this seems like a long time, especially when compared to my PIII system running Me (and full of software), which is slow for just about everything else, but shuts down in about 6-10 seconds.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

My shutdown takes about the same, I noticed if I switched off my USB printer and scanner & broadband connection, just before shutting down, it went abit quicker.

Obviously XP is recording any changes and shutting down all your apps.

Try having the taskmanager open and select processes display. Then pick shutdown from the taskmanager menu.. see whats holding it up.

Windows NT keeps everything in order on your drive and will save settings etc at shutdown.
unlike 9x which basically sends the shutdown signal and does it without giving a second thought so to speak.

in short .. xp takes ages to shut down :D

Of course!!!
I'd forgotten about services, they're gonna take extra time to shut down.
Good call :)

The long shutdown is due to XP xcleaning out the Swapfile evrytime it shuts down, if you tell it not to clean the swap file it will be quicker.... Not sure how to tell it not to do that but you can :)

I haven't run any kind of anti-spy prog on it. I should mention, however, that the PC in question isn't connected to anything but a power source. PC, monitor, Keyboard, Mouse and Speakers. That's it. Not connected to the Net, no printers.

As soon as I shut down from the Taskmanager window, the window closes and I go to the "Windows is shutting down" page, where it just sits and cooks for 20+ seconds until it shuts off.

"Am I unloading dll's at shutdown?" I dunno. Whatever the default is, I assume that's what's happening.

I'm running between PC's trying these suggestions... (BTW Thanks a ton for them!) - looks like disabling unneccesary services has us on the right track - down to 8 seconds for shutdown. Here's a list of services I DID NOT disable - can any of these be disabled as well?

Automatic Updates
Com+ Event System
DNS Client
Error Reporting Service
Event Log
Fast User Switching Compatibility
Help and Support
Messenger
Plug and Play
Print Spooler
Protected Storage
Remote Procedure Call
Secondary Logon
Security Accounts Manager
Server
Shell Hardware Detection
System Event Notification
System Restore Service
Task Scheduler
PCP/IP Net BIOS Helper
Terminal Services
Themes
Upload Manager
Web Client
Windows Audio
Windows Management Instrumentation
Windows Time
Wireless Zero Configuration
Workstation

Thanks again.

open regedit

search and change all "AutoEndTasks" to 1

search and change all "WaitToKillAppTimeout" to 0 or 200

search and change all "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" to 100 or 200

that shut-down time for xp is completely normal...

btw, why are you so concerned about how long it takes to shut down if you are turning it off and not using it anymore?

does it really matter if it takes 25 seconds or 25 minutes? why are you worrying about something that doesn't matter?

Ok, do this:
Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and run the services.
Scroll down and Disable the NVIDIA Helper Service. (Double click it and on the Startup Type, choose Disable.)

This is the solution for anyone runs any of Detonators, this service is useless and keeps time from any system that has nVidia card installed with the drivers, while shutdown.

Cheers ;)

the Messenger service can be disabled without worrying, unless you use it, i only get spam from it

www.kellys-korner-xp.com has registry tweaks that will improve shutdown time. I have XP HE with a 1.2 ghz processor and have gotten my time to 7 seconds to shut down. I have also gotten the bootup time to under 55 secs from cold start. Another good site for reg tweaks is www.dougknox.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back