XP Screwed

W

Womble

Last night I put my Win98Se CD in the drive to take a backup copy.
It auto-played and came up with its menu.
One of the options was to look at some movies to see the amazing graphic power of Win98, so just out of interest I decided to see what they looked like in XP.
When I clicked on the play movies button, I got a message box telling me to put the Windows 98 SE CD in the drive – which it already was.
Anyway, after unsuccessfully trying to do my backup, I powered down and went to bed.

I’ve just had a call from my daughter telling me that the computer won’t boot.
Says it can’t find NTLDR and to put a boot disk in A: !!!

Did Win98 do this and what’s the best way to recover ?

I haven’t created a set of XP boot disks, so I’m wondering whether I can boot directly off the XP CD.
Then, would a system restore fix it or should I try repair system files (wherever that is) ?

Thanks for any help.
Cheers Womble

Was just wondering, will it boot in safe mode? If so system restore should work *fingers crossed* if not, then try reloading windows xp from the original installation disk. It gives you the option to repair the original installation, you may lose some files, but if you have them backed up on disk you should be ok. Ooh! when you repair the installation do not change the address it gives you for the original installation, I did and unwittingly ended up with a dual boot system. Which took ages to return to single boot. Other than that the only problem I can think of is maybe having to reinstall some of your software. Something like this happened to me and that's how I fixed it. Let me know how you get on.

Eve:D

Well, I got home and switched the computer on and, yup, it booted straight into XP.
Kids eh ?

Thanks anyway Eve (love your avatar - pose for it yourself ?)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back