XP s-u-c-k-s

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
I have always been a supporter of windows. I Have never had anything major go wrong with using Windows. Not until I started to use XP. If someone ask me what o/s to get I sure in hell wouldn't recommend XP.

I am trying to load up into windows and I am getting
couldn't load up /windows/system32/config/system
Please insert orignal disk and "r" for repair. This is the 3rd time this has done this too me since owning XP. Both times I had to reformat my system. So it looks like I have to go ahead and reformat again. I been all over the net looking for a solution and haven't been able to find one.

What happened this time. I was playing some Quake3, and the server crashed so I exited out of Q3, which for some strange reason locked my system. I waited about 5 minutes and it didn't recover itself so I had to hit reset. Now I am hear posting on my other computer which also locked up so this is my 2nd attempt at a post. Sorry about spelling and grammer I am so hot right now its not funny.

Give us a list of your system specs. Are you getting any bsod error codes. Have you been in the event viewer seeing what kind of messages are in there? XP rocks - if you have the right hardware - if you don't it's a compatibility nightmare.

I can't get into windows. I get can't load into windows because the file is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system

No I am not getting BSOD, and I can't get into windows to see what errors I am getting in event viewer.

1 ghz t-bird
384 pc133 ram
GeForce2 MX
SbLive!
Netgear NIC
LG CDRW

Which repair command should I use to try to fix this.

hey sinister, did u get rid of that virus u had in ur system restore directory?

Ok I must be doing something wrong. I keep getting file doesn't exist

ren system.alt systemalt.old

and this is confusing me

To copy the default System hive, type the following command:
copy c:\winnt\repair\system to copy the default system hive

wassup_ken

Hell no. I was going to do that once I figure this one out first..
you think thats the problem?

What file is the hive file? Thats where it throws me for a loop

i'd try to get rid of the virus first, i had a few trojans & viruses, and i cleaned them out, then my computer was working fine

SCORE.... w00t w00t w00t
Thanks all

Does this mean I have to reinstall everything?
Cause none of my old drivers are being used.

I had this error once after a perfectly normal shutdown - a reinstall did fix it, this is a bug I think MS should fix asap.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back