XP running very slowly

djchapple

OSNN Addict
I have had Pro and now home editions running on my computers and about eight times I have foiund the computer to be running extremely slowly. ctrl/alt/delete takes about 5 minutes to respond and then I find that the system is continuously hogging about 98% of the cpu.

In the past I have done a clean reboot or repair.

Just recently found on one of the MS pages a fix for this probelm. We are "exhorted to wait until a new service pack comes out" before repairing but, if the needs are great, then a fix is available.

I thought I had set the page on the favorites but I cannot find it.

Can anyone point me to this fix?

When you open task manager, which service or application is eating your cycles?

Yeah, I have noticed this too....

After doing a fresh install of WinXP Pro, maybe after a few months I notice that the 'System Idle Process' takes up to 98% of system resources :S This is what caused me to do a format+fresh install this time...What could be wrong?

Originally posted by o_87
Yeah, I have noticed this too....

After doing a fresh install of WinXP Pro, maybe after a few months I notice that the 'System Idle Process' takes up to 98% of system resources :S This is what caused me to do a format+fresh install this time...What could be wrong?

I think you will find this normal for the system idle processor

Alan

hmm, that quite a bit of cpu usage though..would there be no way to reduce the usage?

Originally posted by o_87
hmm, that quite a bit of cpu usage though..would there be no way to reduce the usage?

Here you go I found this simple explanation for you;)

System Idle Process will normally show up as taking most of the CPU time. It's not greedy. It reduces as other applications use resources. System Idle Process runs to suspend the CPU and cool the processor when no other applications are calling on it.

Alan

Originally posted by Alan
Here you go I found this simple explanation for you;)

System Idle Process will normally show up as taking most of the CPU time. It's not greedy. It reduces as other applications use resources. System Idle Process runs to suspend the CPU and cool the processor when no other applications are calling on it.

Alan

Now it makes much more sense..thanks :)

Hey o_87

Just noticed our avatars are the same design:cool:

When I got it I was wondering where I'd seen it before:D

I actually downloaded it for my background on my SamsungT100 mobile and then decided to use it as a avatar as well:happy:

Anyways I will stop woffling and say bye

Alan

My problem goes far deeper than suggested.

My system take 15 to 20 minutes to load. IE, Word, Excel etc takes 10 to 15 minutes to load and web pages Can take 20 minutes to load.

There is a serious problem somewhere not explained above.

I am still looking for the MS fix that I have seen somewhere in the last few days.

i had a similar problem awhile back ....traced it to a file called pdb.dll ....never did figure out what the file did besides screw my OS up

could have been pdb.dll or .exe cant remember

Originally posted by djchapple

My system take 15 to 20 minutes to load. IE, Word, Excel etc takes 10 to 15 minutes to load and web pages Can take 20 minutes to load.

There is a serious problem somewhere not explained above.

I am still looking for the MS fix that I have seen somewhere in the last few days.

Have you defragged at all???

If you've had programs (such as yer web browser) shut down due to problems and such and it has occured more than a few times and you have not defragged, it may slow everything down.

Yeah I know that XP is supposed to handle that better, but the HDD(s) can still get frgmented up quite a bit.

I have a British AJP 8575 laptop which is badged MITAC 8575, see www.mitac.com

It has a P4 2.4GHz and 512MB memory. The sound/viseo cards are built in. I am running XP Home.

At the moment it took nearly five minutes to go from the link in the NTFS email to the NTFS site.

I have tried repairing the OS but without sauces.

I have cleaned the drive and defragged it about an hour ago.

I have used Ashampoo to clear the drive of all rubbish and I have also cleaned the Registry, surprisingly only one duff item was found.

I am still looking for the MS fix but no one can halp me with this quest.

Originally posted by Alan
Hey o_87

Just noticed our avatars are the same design:cool:

When I got it I was wondering where I'd seen it before:D

I actually downloaded it for my background on my SamsungT100 mobile and then decided to use it as a avatar as well:happy:

Anyways I will stop woffling and say bye

Alan

heh...cool didnt notice..:)

I would look into msconfig and see what is running at startup.....that can really eat up system resources. Also reduce the amount of services you are running. Click the start button.
Select run from the bottom of the right column. Then type services.msc in the box and click ok.

And then go to http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm a great list of all the services and what they do.

Have fun. Here is a GREAT tweaking site for all you XP junkies out there: http://www.don't_post_that.com

you should read the guidelines and not post the link you did:

Quote from guidelines:

• Do not use the forum to advertise retail products or services that are not free or go against other forum rules. Do not post links to competitive XP forums.
Retail Products and Services - We are all for learning about new products but please do not give a sales pitch here. Do NOT post links to referral sites here they will be removed.
Competitive XP Forums – Do not post links to other XP forums (unless they explain and provide an answer to the specific question) Any other links to a competitive forum will be deleted.

(link to guidelines)
http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15979

gonaads (SMOD)

Originally posted by djchapple

From a earlier post Dave..is this what you were looking for?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler\

directory and delete the "DEFAULT" key

Alan

Originally posted by mudpuppy
you should read the guidelines and not post the link you did:

Quote from guidelines:

• Do not use the forum to advertise retail products or services that are not free or go against other forum rules. Do not post links to competitive XP forums.
Retail Products and Services - We are all for learning about new products but please do not give a sales pitch here. Do NOT post links to referral sites here they will be removed.
Competitive XP Forums – Do not post links to other XP forums (unless they explain and provide an answer to the specific question) Any other links to a competitive forum will be deleted.

(link to guidelines)
http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15979

gonaads (SMOD) [/B]

Sorry I screwed up man, I am new here and was just trying to help. Chill out. I am in no way attached to the website mentioned above, I just found it to be usefull. I do not see them as "competitive", and personaly find it very odd that the mods here would be so harsh. This was an honest mistake and I would like you to treat it as such. Thank you. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back