XP Restore VGA Mode??

D

dj_night

Greetings, I will make this short, I really need help>advice,

i used 'driver cleaner' to clean up my old nvidia enterys and also removed driver.cab etc. files, after that windows booted up in VGA mode and everything worked fine, I tried to update the detenator drivers both manual and setup and rebooted, but still VGA mode.

||| then I made a misstake, and disabled 'VGA mode in XP
** DO not use this Device 'disable',

I did that in order to be able to force xp to use the detenator drivers,

now VGA mode does not work in Normal Mode, Safe Mode, VGA Mode,

the computer boots up normal but the display is black.

I do not want to install or upgrade XP in order to fix this because all my windows .dll files and dialogs,menus was personal modified.

Im typing this on my old laptop and I have access to my XP drive from here,

how can I enable VGA mode again in order to be able to boot?

F8, VGA MODE,SAFE MODE ETC. does not work, they are all depended of the VGA driver and thats disabled.

how can I re'enable the service , vga mode?

all help are appriciated...

PS. sorry the spelling... desperatly need help.

thanks,, /Peter

S. I have the XP CD/i386 folder and can copy the needed files to the dockstation fr my laptop.

any fast way to enable vga mode again without beeing able to boot to that partition?

things get 1000 times harder when you cant see :)

Originally posted by GoNz0
run the windows repair from the xp cd.

That will replace many system files, and almost all of them are modified,

is there any other way to restore vga mode without repairing/upgrading?

many thanks

boot your pc from the xp cd, this is an independant bootup and doesnt touch your hard drive with the corrupt xp on it, so you will have a GUI to browse the options. follow for a new install, and as soon as you see the active partition, hit R for repair.

erm i had a look round the net and a repair seems to be the only way round it. define heavily modified ?

ok the answer should be in your boot.ini file
if your has the noguiboot at the end, remove it..

this is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

if i disable GUI boot from msconfig it add's the last /noguiboot

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noguiboot

let me know what you can do. the laptop boot.ini may work.

erm i had a look round the net and a repair seems to be the only way round it. define heavily modified ?

thanks Mr Spock for the advice :), I just wanted to use the repair mode as my last option. where is Billy G. when I need him most hehe.

heavily modified: I was bored at home a few weeks and modded most of my system files .dll libarys in system32 fldr around with reshacker and changed windows dialogs, menus, removed bitmaps, updated avi files. icon groups etc. so windows is not windows anymore :) feels more personal

I would run Repair mode if I only needed to re.mod shell32.dll after that but its more and I dont want to do it all over again. :(
its just not worth it.

it is not even possible to force VGA mode fr boot.ini file, it only works when VGA mode is enabled.. MS should have thought of it in the first place, big security risk :)

ok the answer should be in your boot.ini file
if your has the noguiboot at the end, remove it..

this is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

if i disable GUI boot from msconfig it add's the last /noguiboot

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noguiboot

let me know what you can do. the laptop boot.ini may work.

many thanks... I will try that right away... :).... if it works.. then u have saved my day.... i will get back soon.... got2 try, cheers....

well at a long shot you could install a new windows to a diffrent folder, then figure it out from there

Mr spock is leaving the building as it's beer time ;) best of luck mate.

bad luck for me...

my boot.ini file was unchanged and same as before...

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]

VGA\.do not use this device. "disable". must have a option to enable it back again without being able to see.

I dont know if its possible to replace the file from the i386 xp cd,

ps. the bad spelling and typing is because my old laptop runs in vga 16 colors and its a very old 486, i just had to install windows2000 in it in order to be able to read/write to my NTFS XP drive dockstation....

the performance right now is super slow... slower then slow... cant even explain.. but its fine for typing in a helpforum :)

I have all the needed files... in system32... vga.sys vga.drv vga.dll

and have full access to the xp drive. i have searched the web alot for a way to fix this without help... I will search more.. then I guess I have to do a rapair as my only option :(

hehe Im not flaming this topic...

I just got a great idie...

is it possible to make a .bat script and enable vga mode/service?

if so then I could place the .bat file to my startup folder on xp drive and boot on it and let it run and re/enable.

im not sure, but if i remember right there whrere a command for doing so, for example

rundll32 vga.dll or something simular...

many thanks....

I've almost found a way to get arount this problem...

I must enable the VgaSave service, line below

enable VgaSave SERVICE_SYSTEM_START

im trying a way to enable it from dos mode, in that way I can make a .bat file and place it in my xp startup menu and boot and let it reenable the vga mode and then reboot to vga mode,

any1 knows how to enable services from CMD / command line?
thanks

umm what about copying the nvidia files to the pc and installing them from safe mode ?
right click and extract here, to get the setup files, or download a beta release in zip format to get the files.

(disclamer im drunk)

still no luck :[

..not even in "Recovery Console" R" repair mode.

I have tryed to ReEnable the VgaSys, and even disabled AGP440 etc. without help...

enable VgaSys SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
disable AGP440

and rebooted. but still blank. that line above should´ve fixed it but not :[

MS Recovery Console is very simple and yet powerfull... its great to use for repairing boot sector etc. but useless to re-force vga mode back to normal..

I even tried to use SERVICE_BOOT, SERVICE_AUTO and etc. non of them worked..

I guess I have to do an upgrade anyway...

where did my saturday go.. 14h still no go...

thanks for the advice and your time mr. spock :], not so many people post in the "operative system" forum... if you compare it to the "application" forum...

cheers.. :}

Bizarre thought I know, but what about shadowing key strokes from your laptop? You can get to device manager from the run line (compmgmt.msc), do the process of "re-enabling the vga card" on your laptop and copy the key strokes on the machine blind! But ignore the battery option, that's probably not listed in devices on your main machine.

I've got a solution for you - copy a vnc setup file (I use www.realvnc.com) to your windows start up folder. Run through the set up on your laptop at the same time you set it up on the pc and you can set it up using the keyboard doing the steps on the laptop first then on the pc so you know what your doing, then connect to your pc remotely and go and uncheck that disable box?

The other solution I thought of would be to pull the graphics card and see if it booted up with a different graphics card plugged in.

Just a couple of thoughts :c)

Oh, and to start a service from the command line use "sc start <service>".

Just had another thought, try adding the /BASEVIDEO switch after /fastdetect in your boot.ini and see if that helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back