XP restarts my computer and produces error message.....

V

Vlad

Not sure if this is to be posted here or elsewhere, but I will try it here. I was refered to this site, so hopefully someone can help me with this, I just cannot figure it out :\

I am running XP on my comp, just put it on about a month ago, fresh install. Every now and then I get this error message. I will be doing multiple things on the computer or running multiple things I should say and then XP will suddenly restart and an error message pops up. I didn't get to read all of it because it popped up and then quickly restarted, but what I did read was the following:

"Ran out of Physial Memory" or something of that nature. Now, I have 256Mb ram on my computer and a HardDrive that has a lot of space left.

Recently it has happened lot, but only when running 1 program, winMX, the mp3 program. Sometimes it restarts when I just click a button on the program or it does it during a download. I went into my event viewer to try and see what the error said, and the only errors I saw were the following, these also correspond with the time that I restart, so it is safe to say that these errors are related:

1)
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0xcf8), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

2)
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

3)
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

4)
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Now in my event viewer those are the 4 error messages that are always present after this restart happens. I just update my VIA 4in1 drivers thinking that they would fix it, I am running version 440 right now. I opened up winMX to see if it would work, and literally 30 seconds into using it my computer restarted again. I am baffled by this, I have no idea what to do or how to fix this, neither do any of my friends. If someone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

sounds like a bad stick of ram. if you have multiple sticks, try taking out the first one and see if the error stops occuring. do this with each until it does stop, then you have your culprit.

Go to windows update ( it should be in your start menu... Click the START button on the task bar.) and install the *System Recovered Error Message Update*.

See if that fixes it. :)

Hmmm, I already have that update installed, looks like I installed that back on 7/2 :(

I only have one stick of ram in there right now, but if it were ram, what does that have to do with ACPI BIOS?

I am just so confused by this, lol

Yes sounds like a bad stick of ram, follow this thread to find a memory test program

Thread

:cool:

Turn off the automatic restart & you should be able to read the error message at your leisure. Right click my computer\properties\advanced\startup & recovery\settings. Untick automatically restart.

Ok, I ran the memory test and my memory passed the test, so I guess it's not that.

I just disabled automatic restart, so I am going to go use the program now and see if the error message comes up so I can write it down and then post it here.

Thanks for all the help so far, hopefully I can get this resolved, I appreciate it!

Ok, I just had the error message and got to actually read all of it (thanks Hipster :D).

Here is what it says:

---------

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000024, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000024)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

-----------

Anyone have any idea, what in the hell this is? :confused:

A lot of people seem to have that error show up. Someone should be able to help you sort it out. ;)

I wonder if I should uninstall that program and then reinstall it and then see if it works then....

settings too fast memory!!

Hey Vlad, Taurus and Iceman could be right but before replacing your RAM try setting the speed RAM to the lowest possible in BIOS (mainly RAS, CAS, etc..) i had the exact same error and that fixed it.... but then i went out and repaced that ram with some KINGSTON and i can run fast settings no problem..... hope that helps....

RaZoR

ps.... you wouldnt happen to be a professor would you? :confused:

Originally posted by Vlad
Ok, I just had the error message and got to actually read all of it (thanks Hipster :D).

Here is what it says:

---------

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL <<< this

-----------

Anyone have any idea, what in the hell this is? :confused:

that message DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL <<< this
is due to a faulty driver I had a faulty sound card issue and would get that when playing a certain game ( demolition derby ) and boom boom out went my light lol but I removed the faluty sound card and put in a new one updated my drivers and now its all fine ..... most times the message is due to a driver issue faulty or no the right driver.. there is an issuse with easy cd creator that causes this message in XP they have a patch for it on there site ..... check all your drivers and update all you can

Hmmmm, well my ram is Micron Ram and it is set to CAS 3 I believe.

I also don't have cd creator on my computer, but I do have another problem with my soundcard I am working on. I have an SB Audigy Gamer with and AMD mobo VIA chipset, which we all are aware of that friggin conflict, grrrr. Could that be a cause of this error as well?

The thing I don't understand though, is that my computer only restarts when I run that one program, winMX. I uninstalled and reinstalled and that did nothing :(

Oh, and I am not a professor, lol

was only the one me too

well mine was running fine with that faulty card .... just when I played demolition derby the fault message popped up before that I never seen it but I see when playing that game that the sound is very dodgy it jumps from one channel to another and after I removed the card I was ok I never saw it again and like I said it only happened on that one game so I guess it could happen on a certain program I guess it sends the right glitch to trigger the error I had not noticed from the speakers that one channel was gone it was the front set that had let go , but the rear set was over bareing so I did not see it untill I started looking for a problem due to that error ...

This is definatly a driver prob. I had the same screen when I first installed my Alcatell broadband modem I updated the driver and The problem hasnt occured since

hmmmmmm, well i have no idea what drivers to update, to the best of my knowledge all of my drivers are up to date :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back