• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XP Rescue Disc

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
My neighbour has asked me to format and re-install his XP operating system. However, he also tells me he only has the Rescue Disc supplied when he bought his computer. Anyone know if these XP Rescue Discs can be used to format and re-install.

Yes, a Rescue CD will basically wipe out the contents of the existing partition and restore it to a state that will be pretty much exactly as the system was when he first got it from the manufacturer/store.

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
Thanks. The Rescue Discs (3) were much better than I expected. They allowed formatting and partitioning. In fact the only downside was that they also installed about 10 other programs. There was no option to just install Windows. Of course the other programs were all out of date.

It seems pointless to put these other programs on the Rescue Discs, and not give an option to just install Windows, and perhaps the sound and video drivers. My neighbour bought the computer a couple of years ago, when XP first came out. Even if he needs to reinstall in another couple of years time, these 10 programs will still be installing themselves, and they will be even more out of date by then.

Still as I said that was the only downside. The Windows installation was fine.

Yeah, I've always thought Rescue CDs include too much crud.
Especially hate the ones that generously bundle AOL in there too.

I'm just happy Dell sent me a nice OEM Windows XP CD with my laptop. All the drivers and software (WordPerfect, WinDVD etc) are on separate CDs. Works out much nicer that way.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fontjohnson