XP Remote Assistance Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RobbieSan

For some reason I can't get XP remote assistance to work.. I've tried it with my father and we have been able to connect before.. I tried it a couple of times with a buddy but no go.. when we try the request is automatically denied (via MSN messenger)..

Firewall - I use Tiny Personal Firewall and have been able to use RA with it running. Shutting it off made no difference. I have the XP firewall disabled.

Services - are set to automatic or manual. the only one that is 'disabled' is SSDP Discovery Service which I don't think has anything to do with RA. does the service "messenger" need to set to automatic?

Windows updates - I have most updates expect for some I am sure I don't need since the programs they are for I don't really use.

MSN messenger - do both versions (yours and theirs) have to be the same for RA to work?

any ideas what the problem may be?

Here's the message I get if someone tries to ask me or I ask them:

The invitation from "whoever" to start using Remote Assistance is declined because the program is disabled or is not installed on your computer.

I set the service "workstation" to automatic but it didn't help. Also, in computer management under local user and groups\users the "help assistant" is disabled by default.. I get the feeling it's just one darned setting that's causing this problem..

Control Panel > system > Remote, is Remote Assistence enabled? Also see the advanced settings there on both computers.

Thanks yoyo.. I do have it enabled.. I found this MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305608

I have added the suggested line in the registry but will have to wait until I can try to connect with someone.. little late here and most everyone's asleep..

did some more digging.. found that "telephony" must be enabled.. I enabled (auto) this, terminal services, all remote services.. I have nothing set to "disabled" and still no go..

any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back