XP Remote Assistance Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RobbieSan

For some reason I can't get XP remote assistance to work.. I've tried it with my father and we have been able to connect before.. I tried it a couple of times with a buddy but no go.. when we try the request is automatically denied (via MSN messenger)..

Firewall - I use Tiny Personal Firewall and have been able to use RA with it running. Shutting it off made no difference. I have the XP firewall disabled.

Services - are set to automatic or manual. the only one that is 'disabled' is SSDP Discovery Service which I don't think has anything to do with RA. does the service "messenger" need to set to automatic?

Windows updates - I have most updates expect for some I am sure I don't need since the programs they are for I don't really use.

MSN messenger - do both versions (yours and theirs) have to be the same for RA to work?

any ideas what the problem may be?

R

RobbieSan

Here's the message I get if someone tries to ask me or I ask them:

The invitation from "whoever" to start using Remote Assistance is declined because the program is disabled or is not installed on your computer.

I set the service "workstation" to automatic but it didn't help. Also, in computer management under local user and groups\users the "help assistant" is disabled by default.. I get the feeling it's just one darned setting that's causing this problem..

yoyo

Control Panel > system > Remote, is Remote Assistence enabled? Also see the advanced settings there on both computers.

R

RobbieSan

did some more digging.. found that "telephony" must be enabled.. I enabled (auto) this, terminal services, all remote services.. I have nothing set to "disabled" and still no go..

any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut