XP Reinstall

CodeReliant

OSNN Junior Addict
I am thinking about reinstalling xp from scratch. I was curious if any has recently reinstalled xp and has had trouble downloading the patches before being hit by viruses and worms?

I don't want to download all of the patches for xp before I reinstall because that would take hours.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure you install a firewall before connecting to the internet and you should be fine. Alternatively, you can make an unattended installation of Windows XP that includes all critical updates and hotfixes.

i have done many scratch installations.. (blame it on cracking hardware... :x ) and had no problems with viruses whatsoever.. in case it helps, i am running behind a router with NAT but no firewall activated.. :p

falcone said:
i have done many scratch installations.. (blame it on cracking hardware... :x ) and had no problems with viruses whatsoever.. in case it helps, i am running behind a router with NAT but no firewall activated.. :p
your router saved your **** thus you didn't need a firewall ;) but I wouldn't suggest connecting to the internet w/ a fresh install w/out one of the 2.

Thanks for the info. I reinstalled xp 4 or 5 times, just not lately with all of the worms traveling the internet. I will be sure to be behind a router, and the first install will be norton antivirus software and the second will be blackice firewall.

Thanks again.

CodeReliant said:
I am thinking about reinstalling xp from scratch. I was curious if any has recently reinstalled xp and has had trouble downloading the patches before being hit by viruses and worms?

I don't want to download all of the patches for xp before I reinstall because that would take hours.

Thanks in advance.

generally i make a backup of an firewall and AV installer (sygate and AVG...mm plug :D ), unplug the ethernet cable, reinstall XP, install the AV and firewall and then plug the ethernet back in.

simple, effective, hardware firewall = not being plugged in to the net :D

i reinstall every 2 months or so, i find no XP install is the same, theres always a bug or 2. helps to have 2 HDDs, one for backup :eek:

HandyBuddy said:
Make sure you install a firewall before connecting to the internet and you should be fine. Alternatively, you can make an unattended installation of Windows XP that includes all critical updates and hotfixes.

Hey, thanks for the link. I just installed XP pro on a new system and am about to reinstall XP home on the old sys.

btw. my router died so I had to do the pro inst w/o it. No probs though - but I did inst AVG & ZoneAlarm right away (after d/l of new vers).

I reinstalled XP just a few days ago. No problems whatsoever with any of the worms of unpatched Windows boxes. I am protected by a firewall, so RPC, and the like isn't a problem. Why not just install block the ports that RPC, etc uses?

I just reinstalled XPPro on Sunday, didn't connect to the internet until I had zonealarm and norton installed. Connected to my LAN and instantly ended up with a W32 worm of some sort, had msbb.exe, optimizer.exe, and bridge.exe that took a couple passes to remove. I think my friend's box is hosting tons of stuff to pass on to me. Nothing in the last couple days though.

*Crosses fingers*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back