XP Reboots when I add new HDD!

• Thread starter Clubber Lang
  • Start date
C

Clubber Lang

OK. I'm running XP Pro. My machine has run fine for a long time. I have a 20 gigger as a primary drive and a 40 gigger for backup purposes. I has another 40 lying around, formatted and partitioned, so I decided to install it and throw some stuff on it. I swapped the 2 40-gig HDDs and powered up. It POSTed fine. When XP booted up, it was doing the autodetect and auto install. It recognized the drive as a WD 40 gig, it recognized it as a hard disk drive, but then immediately after that, it rebooted. I tried it again with the same results. So I swapped the drives and am getting the error still...

Coincidentally, I have a Sony DSC-S70 DigCam. I plugged it into the USB port and turned it on to transfer some photos. The machine recognized it as a Sony DSCS70, recognized it as a removable HDD then rebooted!!! So I'm guessing it has something to do with the drivers for the HDD or something like it. I actually have no clue what it could be. Could someone PLEASE!!!! shed some light on this for me. I've checked the MS Knowledge base but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By swapped I mean I took the 40 gig drive (E: Drive that I used as a storage/backup HDD) out of my computer and installed another 40 gig HDD that I had lying around.

OK. I booted in safe mode and unchecked the restart automatically under the advanced options somewhere. I then restarted in normal mode with the new HDD installed. Upon checking it, I received the dreaded Stop Error saying "IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_...". I know there are a plethora of threads in reference to this. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

I had that error too (amongst others) when installing WinXP on PC #3 (look below at sig for spec). I gave up and put 2k back on cuz theres too many possibilities of what it could be :/

have u ran a chkdsk or somethin on the hdds?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back