xp rebooting by itself

H

hovbuild

All of a sudden my xp reboots itself....3 months and not a problem now this! Any suggestions?

First thing to do:
System Properties / Advanced Tab / Startup & Recovery Button - then uncheck "automatically restart". Let me know if that doesn't do it. If it does, look in Event Viewer and see what's causing the errors (your system is set to reboot on errors and the above suggestion will disable that feature).

I went into the event viewer and there is all kinds or errors, all starting 3/20/02 Of course all most everyone I checked into at ms I got "there is no information avaliable at this time.:O( seems to be getting worse as the days go on......Yes the auto start was checked, but I left it alone since the three reboots I had today was at the time of these error reports

1) Remove the check mark. You do NOT want the sytem rebooting on errors.

2) You need to tell us what the errors in the event viewer are if you'd like us to try to help. Cut and paste the errors here.

This is the one: Event system Category 50
The COM+event decteded a bad return code during its internal processing.
HRESULT was 80070422 from line 44 of d:\nt\comix\src\events\tree\eventsystemobj.cpp

I used to have this problem, but I eventually figured out what it was. Oddly enough, it wasnt even computer-related: it has to do with electrical power fluctuations. Whever the flow of energy dipped low enough, my computer would shut right off - No warning or anything - and would start right back up.
And this didnt just happen under XP...this used to happen when I had 98se.

It seems that this isnt what's happening to you, but this information may still help other people.

Wow! A screen came up stating to shut down my computer and check all hardware. Said to shut down Bios options such as cach and shadowing!!! Stated it was dumping physical memory and contact my vendor..........

The reason you never saw that before is because the system was rebooting on errors. Now at least you've seen the screen.

Been having some trouble with norton 2002.....So I uninstalled it today and reinstalled....updated and still it would hang.....I did all the dir's to see if there was a corupt file...nada....Still on a full system scan or a c drive scan it would hang up before any file would even come up...
I removed ant hardware since the first error of 3/20(game controler and printer) rebooted and the error screen came up....I uninstalled norton and left hardware not attached.......I'll report back if the error window comes up again.

Plot thickens. I am not one to give up easily! Even though a f-disk is right around the corner!:O) I think I got it narrowed down to a norton live update problem. I am have a tech person from norton actually wanting to call me in the morning! ha! I couldn't for the heck of me find a support phone number!
I had to restore to an earlier date just to stop the crashing so I could at least do some backing up. Also I have a feeling that when I cleared the prefetch folder a while back, I screwed something up. The norton thing is a big concern for them it seems. I will let you know what is going on tomorrow. Thanks for your replies and help.

Bill

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back