Xp Pro Will Not Let Me Burn On The Fly ?

N

ninja geezer

i have been running xp pro on my machine for ten months now with no probs, but since last week if i burn a cd on the fly , my liteon 24102b throws a wobbler, the burn proof is activated every second unless i burn at 4x speeds and it takes longer to burn at 24x than 4x !!! . i have taken the writer to a pals and it works perfect in his machine also on xp pro . it happens on all the burning sofware i have used nero,clone,cdrwin. so i formatted the drive freshly installed xp pro again and it was no different. so now i think it may be the motherboard, took it to my local pc dealer (who built it last jan)
he put another hard drive in it with windows 98se on it and with the DMA ENABLED on it burns on the fly ok !!!. so he tells me that there is not a problem with my machine it must be xp pro !!!!!!!!!!!!!. now i am getting a bit pissed off.
how can my machine run all this time fine burning cd's on the fly but now all of a sudden it's my operating system ??? i think i have a hardware fault, please any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. the system has been solid as rock since xp pro was put on in january. this is what is in the pc.
ATHLON XP 1600+
MSI MAINBOARD K7266 PRO 2
256 DDR RAM
7200 40 GIG HDD
GEFORCE 2 PRO
5.1 LIVE SOUND CARD
LITON 24102B CDRW
PANASONIC DVD
LITEON CDROM:mad:

im guessing that youve got your hard disk and cd/dvd drive on the same ide channel as you have 3 cd/dvd and 1 hdisk thats a big NO NO and will slow your system down drastically move the hard disk to a seperate channel than your cd/dvd drives this should sort your problem out as more throughput will be allowed from the hd and wont bottleneck the data goin to your cdrw and from your hdisk

thanks for that advice , the way i have it configured at the moment is like this:
PRI MASTER = HDD
PRI SLAVE=CDROM
SEC MASTER=CDRW
SEC SLAVE=DVD ROM
i tried taking the cdrom off the same ide as the hdd but this had no effect at all !
tell me if i am wrong but if i am trying to burn on the fly does the hdd come into play at all ? i thought it was all to do with DMA when burning on the fly ? could it be the DDR RAM that is at fault ?
or the hdd or the mainboard ?
any more suggestions welcome many thanks
paul.:confused:
something must have changed because it has been perfect for nearly a year , (could not expect that with 98se ).

i think XP is taking a bit deal of your resources, that's why it does work on 98, i had the same thing in the early days, i also had 98 and just bought a new Philips burner, 12x8x32, on ma AMD 450 mhz, i started to burn a cd immediatly at 12x, and you can guess that didn't work, before finishing the first song, the buffer was out of memory...the fastest i could burn was at 8x, and then XP came out, and i put it on the same machine, (AMD K6-2 450 mhz 320 ram) and then suddenly i couldn't burn my cd's any faster than 4x! So XP is the bottleneck here i think, a friend of mine has the same problem, he burns his cd's at 20x with buffer protection, but the point is that it takes alot of time to refill the buffer again and again, so that you're better of burning at slower speeds, that way you won't need the underrun protection to come into play each time your buffer failes. Still i don't know why it was working at first and now it's not anymore....

new imformation , i have just tried taking an image and burning from the image at 24x the burnproof still kicked in a couple of times even doing it that way !! used cdrwin on test mode.
surely there must be a hardware fault somewhere ?
helpppppppppppppppppp.

seriously ninja geezer you gotta have the h disk on a seperate channel the way you got it now will slow down your system and could be a key factor in why you got problems and also if your not using it disable the imapi burning service built in to xp

you changed any settings in the bios recently that could be the problem in the cmos settings make sure the drives are set to auto

yep checked the settings in the bios they are on auto detect !

yep checked the settings in the bios they are on auto detect !

how do i turn off the imapi burning service in xp ??
can i have the cdrom and the cdrw on the same ide then ?
then i can keep the hdd on a seperate ide, i was under the impression that i had to have the cdrom and cdrw on different ide channels to burn on the fly ??
thanks for the help
paul.

if you got xp pro go control panel | administrative tools | services
then look for Imapi Cd burning com service right click go to properties and where it says manual click the pull down menu and select disabled! yes you can have any cd rom devices on the same channel as they run at generally low speed compared to hard disks im not sure if burning on the fly requires a seperate ide channel but ive succesfully copied cds without copying to hd first just make sure the write speeds arent too fast. At the end of the day its better burning cds at a slower speed than having a pants system

now i have done the fimware update on the liteon is there any way of seeing if this has taken place ??
and i have disabled the imapi burning service in xpand tried to burn on the fly with cdrwin still the same. it got to 8% then the liteon flashed its orange lite at me on and off continuously till it was done, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yes i know what you are saying about burning slower but i have had no probs until now ? plus what is the point of having a fast burner and burning slow? there has to be a problem somewhere.
thanks very much for the help though.

yep sure is , thats whats making me think its a fault .

right if this dont work summon your drive to the Dustbin
1 check the ide cables for looseness
2 make sure the jumpers are set properly set cd/dvd rom to primary and cd writer to slave
3 go to your bios setup and load the default settings for the whole system
4 have you bought a different brand of cd -r before the problem started
5 check that the drive has no IRQ collisions with other devices
6 make sure its not overheating (highly Unlikely)
7 have you messed about with the internal working of the drive or touched anything that could screw it up

like i say i have not even been inside the machine until after this problem started. the writer worked fine in my m8s pc ?
so i leave the HDD ON PRIM MASTER, THE CDROM ON SEC MASTER AND THE CDRW ON SEC SLAVE

Hi,

Very interesting thread you have going here.
That being said. You said that the dealer insatlled a hard drive with win98 and it worked fine. So therefore we should assume that the hardware is working fine. This is what I would do.
Install the hard drive on the primary IDE . Install the cd burner on the secondary ide. Try that and see if you can burn at full speed.

Good Luck,
Stealer

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back