xp pro + sp1+ logon screen=problem

• Thread starter mafiafromrussia
  • Start date
M

mafiafromrussia

damn just installed that sp1 thing, and it asked me about replacing some system file b4 installing i chose not to, now after i installed sp1 and booted my screen goes blank and then computer just restarts after about 10 sec flashing some blue windows with something there, too fast too see what is there. i think my problem is that i have costum logon screen, the one that comes b4 login box. now i think to fix it i have to replace the file corresponding to it with original file, but the problem is that i cant get to it. i have tryed all boot up options from F8 key , i end up with restart everytime. now i am in windows ME. but i still cant acess my XP partition cuz it's in ntfs. what can i do in this situation?
right now my only idea is to take out HD and take it to a friend with ntfs system attach it there and replace files. format is not going to be an option here either.
can i do anything to fix this thing with out taking evrything apart?

can't you get into the safe mode at all?
system restore?
the main programs that can cause that are BootXP,TgtSoft and windows blind...uninstall them all....
insert your XP CD and type "sfc /scannow" -no quotes-to scan system files.

go to DOS, delete the file. It will load up a 2K style logon.

Totally different idea: Do you have a Pentium system and have Intel Application Accelerator 2.3.2135 installed?

ok well i'm over at friend's house already :) that the good part i connected andi can see everything i do nothave any bootmanagers installed. i remember just extracting some files to my windows directory i think. and now i dont really remember which files those were. could some one tell me which files could those ne? i have fbi log on window there. and i do not have anything with intel. and i can get to any kind of safe mode or anything.

ok nothing seems to work, but i have another idea. what if i install xp over my current xp(which may as well be sp1 already) will it work fine after that?

There have been reported problems with "Custom" or non OEM/MicroSquish Boot Screens/Log on Screens and SP1.

Reinstall SP1 and when it asks to replace any system files click yes/O.K. It will probably reinstall the default Boot Screen or Log In Screen.

See if that fixes it.

well i'd do that only i'm sitting in fat32 now, and there's no way for me to get to win xp(ntfs) to install uninstall or reinstall anything :( . so i was just thinking of reinstalling xp pro over what i already have on my computer. will that work fine?

when it looks for existing xp installations highlight the installation you wish to repair and press r, all settings will stay as they were

cool, thanks a lot for info. i'm currently finding my xp cd at a rate of 90kb/sec and should find it in an hour or so :) will try it then.

You said that you took your HD to your friend. You also said that you can see all the NTFS files, YES??

If so open the BOOT.INI file.

The BOOT.INI file should look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Or this:

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If your BOOT.INI doesn't then try either one of these (COPY/PASTE or just EDIT it yourself).
See what happens.

Originally posted by Octopus
can't you get into the safe mode at all?
system restore?
the main programs that can cause that are BootXP,TgtSoft and windows blind...uninstall them all....
insert your XP CD and type "sfc /scannow" -no quotes-to scan system files.

Well if anyone is running StyleXP and installed SP1 it don't work without a patch.

You must install Style XP v. 1.01L to run Style XP on SP1.

And there have been reports floating around of boot screens not working in SP1.

i have c:\windows millenium fat32
d:\windows xp ntfs

my boot.ini is on c: and looks like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\
[operating systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

~edit~ i didnt have style xp or anything like that. i think i had bootloader instelled once but then after i changed my boot window some time ago i have uninstalled it.i have some problems with it at that time, but it sorted out somehow untill now.

Did you (now) have the Generic MicroSquish Boot Screen or a Custom one???

If it's a Custom one that may be the problem.

It's starting to sound like a reinstall of XP. :(

Or maybe a bootable XP CD with SP1 on it. Boot from CD and then try to install SP1 again??? Maybe???

That is what i had to do, and boy did i not enjoy it at all, serves me right for not waiting until someone else had found all these problems

i'm not sure what Generic MicroSquish Boot Screen is, if it that thing when u just boot up your computer and it shows that balck screen with xp writen on it? if that then no, i have my costume thing, it was some cia thing there. or fbi. and yea i think i'll have to try to reinstall it some how or something,

Originally posted by The_Schwarz
That is what i had to do, and boy did i not enjoy it at all, serves me right for not waiting until someone else had found all these problems

yea, i also always jump into things and try it out for my self.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back