XP Pro says reboot when started

R

ranger_cole

Every time Xp Pro reboots or starts it says it has found new hardware and must reboot. I traced it to my slave hardrive formatted win 98 se fat32. Slave drive is a bootable drive and work fine. Both drives are on same ide cable. When this drive is removed the message goes away. In "Disk Management" you will see both as active hard disks. Disk 0 is the Primary drive (XP Pro). Disk 1 (win 98 se) is secondary storage.
Disk 1 is "Not Initialized". When I try to right-click on the "Disk 1" icon and select "Initialize" it fails at the end of the process.

Was 98 installed first? Or xp then 98? That will give you trouble from the start. How do you get into 98?

Win 98 se installed 1st works fine on ide1 slave drive (was set as master for 9 months no xp then). win xp pro installed 2nd on master ide0. I press f8 on startup for boot menu and press drive I want to boot.

I'm a bit lost here. XP has it own boot program which should pick up 98 at boot then give you the option of which OS to use. :confused:

I have heard of the boot manager for xp but where is it? How do you ge to it? When xp boots there is no screen/option on which os to boot to.

I'm not sure on this as I have never used the xp boot manager but the boot.ini is located here in XP> Right click my computer/properties/advanced/startup & covery/settings. Have a look in there & see if 98 is being picked up. Did you load xp through 98?

No I did not load xp through 98 (I don't think). I changed win 98 se to slave and installed a unformatted drive as master rebooted pc with the xp pro cd in cdrom and began formatting ntfs and installed xp pro. I did go into xp and the only thing listed in startup and recovery is windows xp pro no win 98se.

I have found the solution. It is related to Goback 3. I had installed GB3 on win 98se drive many months ago. When I added win xp pro drive I installed GB3. I did not install according to roxio's website instructions. After uninstalling GB3 from win xp pro drive and reinstalling according to roxio's instructions no more error messages and no drive problems. VERY IMPORTANT to follow roxio's instructions on installing on dual boot systems! Thanks for all your suggestions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back