XP Pro log off

R

Robbie34

I installed Windows XP Pro - clean install - about six weeks ago. Recently it has taken ages to log off when I shut down. I have uninstalled all of those programs that I thought may be causing the problem but without success. Before logging off I have also closed every application but it still takes about three minutes before I get the message "logging off", and it then shuts down in about ten seconds.

Has anyone experienced this problem and how was it solved?

I get this yeh.

Have you tried Defragmenting? Probably doesnt help but it helps with my dad's computer on 98. 6 weeks is a long time to gather files and get them mashup so try defragmenting. Im no expert in the matter, but It probably works :D

Before you actually "log off" but have already closed *all* running programs, open task manager and view the Processes tab. Is there perhaps a process still running of a program you have already shut down? Most entries will sound like latin, but perhaps you can isolate a few 'strange' entries; terminate them, and try a shut down / log off. Is it any faster?

Kind regards,
Willem Moolenaar

Have you used the tweak to clear the pagefile before closing down? If so, change it back.

Otherwise, there might be some programs or services not closing down properly.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
HungAppTimeout
change the setting to 2000

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
WaitToKillAppTimeout
Change this one to 5000

Amazing. I de-fragged the drive and it worked.

I never thought it would as it's a brand new 60Gb Western Digital which I installed and then did a clean install of XP Pro. It has 91% of free space.

Thanks for all of the help.

Originally posted by beatlesdb
Hmmm - Wester Digital - say no more :(

And what is wrong with Western Digital? They give an excellent guarantee so they can't be unreliable. I had a WD in my last pc, which I bought in 1995 and sold to a friend, and it is still running perfectly.

In any case. it was probably not the HD but a corrupt file that was fixed by the defrag utility.

if you have the Nvidia Helper program loading in services that adds a chunk to shut down time..

Also, if you are using any kind of home networking, pci ethernet, etc functions/hardware then that could add to the start up and shut down time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back