XP Pro - Installing Apps - Questions

K

kdeuser

I am new to XP and need some advice. I have installed XP Pro and set-up myself as a user with administrator-level login along with my wife and 3 kids with their own limited-level logins. I noticed that when I install some software that the other logins can't run it. With MusicMatch (MP3 program), their tech support gave me instructions for modifying registry entries to get the software available to all. Is there some trick to installing software so that everyone can get to it? Is there a guide to help me transition from 98SE to XP Pro that is recommended? Thanks

this is how i would work that one:

set up a bogus Admin-level new logon with an easy to remember password.

use your gpedit tweak to remove it from the start up screen (so no one can see it at startup)

then, when the family is in their own logins, they just need to right click the program that doesnt run, select "run as" ... down at the bottom select "The following user"... select that bogus admin-status login, and let em type in that password.

they'd be running the programs at admin-level... but i really dont think they are going to mess it up.

actually an easier way of doing things like that is just set everyone up as admins. but heres the trick: on everyones (except yours) login, rightclick the start menu and select explorer, then go > tools > folder options > view > click the box that says "DO NOT show hidden files and folders" ... then while logged into yours, hide all the things you dont want them messing with.

...power hungry are we? :D :D :D ;)

Thanks. Just trying to keep my kids from doing things they shouldn't.. I use Norton System Works and Family Internet Security that integrates with XP.... So I worry they ("they" being two teenage boys) could use admin access to get around the parental controls since that would give them admin access to Norton - I think. They will try, no matter how "good" they claim to be!

Just trying to use the operating system as it was designed to be used! Sounds like I would be better off networking them on a different machine so I could take advantage of groups/permissions, etc....

Umm their is

I was fooling around with the proggies and stuff, this is what you have to do:

Ok you know where the shared Documents are for each user?

if you dont well it should be somewhere in your system root.

when u install the applacation, install it under the user's folder.
for example:

C:\poopoo program\Documents and Settings\All Users for all users to use or just

C:\poopoo program\Documents and Settings\Yo Mamma for just that user to use that proggy

understand?

Edited for poopoo. I have asked you to watch your language for the last time! Understand?
X

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back