XP plays sound _except_ system events

Mr. K

OSNN Occasional
I have a rather odd problem with sound in XP Pro:

I have no troubles playing MP3s/CD audio from any program, but Windows has stopped playing sounds upon system events. For example, at startup/shutdown or if I minimize a window, no sound is played. If I change the volume slider from the taskbar, instead of playing the proper wave file set in the control panel, the internal system speaker beeps as if I had no sound card.

If I go to the control panel where you assign sounds to the various events, they play fine there when I preview them. I've tried assigning new sound schemes with different wave files. I've tried upgrading to the latest SB Live! drivers from Creative. I've tried reinstalling the card and using the default XP drivers.

I think this all started after QuickTime crashed in the middle of playing a movie. I can't think of anything else that would cause this.

Of course this isn't too serious -- I can still play my music in Winamp -- but there's still something to fix here. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

pk

This sounds very much like my problem, I'd be very interrested in help too :)

i dont know if it'll help but go to control panel>sounds and audio devices>sounds tab. select windows default scheme. and click ok. that should do it.

did you change your log on screen?
I changed it once, then the sound problem happened to me.
or maybe a program is causing this look what programs start at the beginning.

I have the same problem. Only I would like to get rid of the system beeps. Very annoying when you are sleeping and someone signs on to messenger and you hear beep. It's to the point where I don't keep messenger running at night. Anyone know how to get rid of this beep?

funky go to sound and audio stuff as i explained b4. there go to sounds and scroll down to messenger. remove sound from there and click ok. that should do it. btw cant u go to messenger's options and disable it there? i really dont know if u can do that cuz i'm using AIM.

Mafia,

I tried your suggestion, but the problem persists... thanks anyhow.

What's strange is that this problem does not happen in any other account on my computer. I guess I might as well just create myself a new account.

yea well that's strange then. maybe a format will do everything ?

A little problem like this isn't worth formatting the whole computer... I'll just make a new account (when in doubt, give up and run away!)

I've never seen a forum where people are so cavalier about recommending a reformat.

mafiafromrussia - try not to take this the wrong way, but it's my experience that if you don't know the solution, a little silence will go a long way. What if Mr. K knew less about computers than you do and he took your advice thinking that if you are giving it you must know what you are talking about? He'd reformat his disk for no good reason and, again if he wasn't computer savvy, potentially lose data unnecessarily.

Just a thought.

There were some new drivers released today I believe, not necessarily the solution to your problems, you could try removing anre installign quicktime or you could give th esystem file checker a go

run

SFC /scannow
(then reboot)

Posted by allan
I've never seen a forum where people are so cavalier about recommending a reformat.

allan - amen

mafiafromrussia - you know me better than to think I would say anything (seriously) against you - but it is true that too many folks rely on and recommend the old "reformat" (in my opinion) far too frequently and far too soon in the problem solving process.

Maybe I am nuts - but I would rather do some troubleshooting and try to fix a problem (and perhaps learn something along the way) - than take (in my opinion) the easy way out - reformat!

I actually look forward (with a little fear) to the time I have to reformat my system for the first time - rather than being able to figure out a repair with the help of everyone else!

That's my 2 cents (which I am entitled to as a member) and everyone and anyone can agree or disagree with me!:cool:

hell, like I told allan, I do, if there is a problem that I don't think I can solve I will reformat.. as a last possible choice. But I have a nice system up here with everything installed and customised the way I want it so will definatly frown on reformatting now!

well i always say MAYBE format. as in later on if u want to. i never go ahead and tell people u must format your pc. i my self will explore any posible option i can think of before i do that though, and maybe will even live with the problem untill something more serious will come up. and format just sounds good as a cleaning tool :)

My point is - if you don't know the answer you shouldn't be suggesting a format at all - the word shouldn't even come up.

ok, you talked me into it :). we wont be suggesting format option from now on.

better yet

And even before a "format" if after exhausting all the possiblites would someone not choose the "repair" option not even a "reinstall " The option to repair is a great way to fix little problems without even loosing a single email....... I find the repair option fantastic it does not touch any of the programs installed better than having to reinstall all your programs and tweaks thats for sure.

If its just a system beep ie the computer speaker and not the speakers where ur sound come from, open the case and unplug the speaker wire from the motherboard. i never connect the stupid thing neway. if the speaker for the mobo is onboard, u can just cut it off if you dont mind modding your board. there is no harm in removing it. i have done it many times before for customers

when you

Go to lets say install XP just follow the screens as if you were going to install and it shows you that you have a version of xp installed already, and you choose that same partition and it gives you the option to repair that installation, not reinstall but repair ..... its very nice to have that as an option

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back