XP performance really slow.

D

donkey

I got XP about a month ago. My specs are AMD 1800, 512MB DDRAM, Geforce 4, so my system is fairly fast.

The first 2 weeks I had the system, I had I think 2 games installed and it was running fine. I then installed around 10 games from cds and then a massive slowdown on windows occured.

I clicked an application and 5-10 mins later it would open. When I shut down the computer it wouldn't. It would just be normal and then 10-15 mins later it shut down.

I uninstalled most of the games but the problem was still there. I then reinstalled Windows XP and went to the Microsoft site and downloaded all the XP updates (48MB all up).

After this, windows was running fine. Normal speed but then I reinstalled the game I previously deleted and now it's slow again.

I'm assuming that it might be something to do with the games but some are fine as it worked before when I had a few games installed.

Can anyone explain what is wrong here? I can't seem to fix this and I'd like to get my computer back to normal. Do some games slow Windows down or something.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Which ever game it is, I advise you to scan the CD or installed directory for viruses.

Even better, you should do a full virus system scan.

Little more to it than just defragging

First thing to so is look and see what services have been started automatically, try settaing them back to manual. Also check the System Configuration Utility and see what is running in the startup section, in XP none of these have to be checked, XP will run just fine with none of them checked. I would also check to see if you have picked up any spy-ware, you might want to run Ad-Aware (www.lavasoft.nu)

probably more than just defregging

but why not start with the easiest:)

Thanks for the suggestions but after installing I ran adware and defragged as well.

I've deleted everything again, reinstalled windows, downloaded the updates and am using one game (Grand Theft Auto 3) and everything is running fine.

Some games just stuff it up. I ran them and checked the pc's performance while each game was running and when I had exited the game and some games were still using 100% of the pc after they had finished. Would this have something to do with it.

How do I check what services are started automatically and the system configuration for startup?

Thanks

Got msconfig up but I don't know enough about what's running to disable something. Is there anywhere to find this out or help me with what to disable or check for?

step bt step 4 u mate ( wid screen shots)

1) go start>>run + type msconfig + press return u then get something similar 2 start up 1.

2) click start up as shown in start up 1.

3) remove the tick's as nesesary + click ok 2 save changes.start up 2.

this shuld help a bit.

umm yeah the screen shot's, soz m8 i forgot:p

Have you got your games & apps installed on the same partition as windows ????

xp slowdown games

I had this trouble with xp even with 1gh pentium 3, 500 of mem,
geforce 3 card so I thought its looks like another upgrade.
How can I hide that from the wife?
No it cant be that, so I thought a bit,read some of monthly xp magazine and went into control panel, then into system properties, then into advanced,clicked performance, in perf options clicked on adjust for best performance-it was on adjust for best appearance, or it may be on let win choose whats best for your computer. Choose adjust for best performance,it gets rid of all wonderful fades and animation etc but performs games performance on your computer by lots.
It may not help you but it helped me. Also get Tweakxp, its in the win xp official mag this month, its great for getting rid of the dross and making programs run faster-that why you have windows to run programs-I think Bill gATES FORGOT THAT CONCEPT.
hOPE IT hELPS dONKEY
housman@ntlworld.com

Here a screenshot of my startup. It's edited to show all 15 that's why the slider on the side's stuffed up.

1. definetly bin office!!! what a hog
2. nwiz and nero check ditch
3.money express
4. incd if you dont use it
5. ctfmon is a twat, its part of office [word] i think.. even after stopped it restarts itself. There is a fix but its a pain
6 messenger. only allow it when you want it!!

These are my start up progs-

rundll32
nwiz
evntsvc
bgswitch
taskswitch
fast
qttask
IDW logging tool
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Calender Reminders

Most I Don't know what the do or if I use them or not- which can I get rid of?:)

rundll32 - needed
nwiz - to do with norton - safe to remove
evntsvc - not needed if single home user not lan
bgswitch - if its just you no need, hogs
taskswitch ---
fast --- as above if just you remove
qttask - pass
IDW logging tool - pass but its obviously a logger of sorts
Microsoft Office - NO WAY !! REMOVE it
Microsoft Calender Reminders -- only again if you want nagging

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back