XP Networking: unknown error 31

C

conn2

HI,

I 've just installed little domestic network between my Desktop in Win XP (PC-XP) and my Labtop on Win98 (PC-98)

- PC-XP is sharing a broadband connection and is on a peer to peer network,
- PC-XP can see PC-98 and access all shared drives on PC-98
- PC-98 can use the Internet

However, PC-98 can see the PC-XP machine but can not access shared folder on PC-XP

an "Unknown Error 31" is reported when attempting to access PC-XP shared files from PC-98

Looking for your helps - Thanks by advance

Below is my Networking configuration
-Drives on PC-XP are shared in a simple mode ( everyting is allowed)
- ICS on PC-XP NOT ACTIVE (box unchecked)
Connexion on PC-XP under Adminstrator name with no psw(blank)
Connexion on PC-98 with the same (user) name with no PSW

Have you got " microsoft file and print services " turned on the 98 machine ?

File Sharing problem on XP solved

ZMAN,

Thanks for your reply but I finally found what went wrong in my networking configuration.

"Microsoft file and print services" was turned on in my Win98 Machine (in fact, as I had no problem to access 98 machine HDD drives from my XP box)

The problem was that I did think that HDD Drives on my XP Box were shared in a simple mode when, for each HDD drive on XP machine, I right clicked and then checked the "Share and security" item. It was not true !
My configuration was incomplete: The files were shared but NOT in A SIMPLE MODE ! The conséquent was that Win98 machine had no right to access XP Machine folders (due to security control of Windows XP)

To solve the problem, I had to execute "Control folders" (Start menu then "execute" "control folders" ) and then put a cross on item "Sharing in simple mode" ( the las question in the menu)

And there, everything was all right

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back