XP Networking Problem

D

drahzar

Yes i've checked out the FAQ, didnt help, and windows help is worthless.

Basically, every time I restart my computer I have to go to network connections, disable network bridge, and then reenable it for the network to work. It started recently, without any significant changes I can remember, used to work fine. Any suggestions?

You should not have a network bridge. You only need the bridge if you you are attached to more than one logical network.

Repaired before, nada, just says cant find IP

Config is auto setup from windows, use it cause i switch networks a lot. Internet is on the other computer.

Well if you're just a client on a LAN than you should definately not use a network bridge.

it always gives me 192.168.0.whatever

I'm a newb here. OK, so i dont need a network bridge, but how do i get rid of it? Both 1394 and local area connection say "enabled, bridged", and all my tcp/ip stuff is in the bridge properties.

I had kinda the same problem. The only way I could fix it was a re-install !!!! :mad:

After that I havent had a problem !

:cool:

No, I think he has (accidentally) bridged his Firewire with his NIC.

So what you do, drahzar, is just disable the bridge. Does it stay disabled or "pop back" on? If it stays disabled everything is ok.

Since the card gets 192.168.0.x it apparently talks to the DHCP server which is good. At this point things should work. At least the Internet access.

OK, my network is basically just my laptop, my old computer, and my new computer connected to a hub. The new computer has the internet. If I disable the bridge i have no connections. I have no idea what an ICS box is.

networkconnections.JPG

bridgeproperties.JPG

No it's because Geocities doesn't allow external linking. The links don't work either. To fix it, after you click the link, remove "http://" and press enter. Voila, image is displayed. (No point editing the post that is)

Ok, for the last time drahzar, REMOVE the bridge! I don't care if it works less without it because with it is no good either, right? No bridging. Period.

Is the screenshots from the new computer? If so, how is it connected to the Internet? There is only one Ethernet connection and afaik there are no Firewire modems...

Your network display should look something like this (except in English):

The images are from my computer, not the new one. I get internet through the new one. And I don't know how to remove the bridge, i don't have a physical bridge anywhere, just a cable that runs from my computer to the hub.

There is no physical bridge. The bridge is just XP being told to send all packets on the NIC to the Firewire and vice versa. So in order to fix the problem you click on the bridge and press delete. Confirm it and wait a while. The connections are now unbridged. Check if your Ethernet connections has aqcuired and IP. If it has, all is fine and it should work. If not, try a reboot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back