• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XP .msstyles and .themes file association went kookoo...

Kuja

OSNN Addict
.msstyles and .theme files used to just open by themeselves, straight into the Desktop/Themes selection window.... now it gives me that "What do you want to do?", window..... with 2 options..... look it up on web, or find a program to open it...

Does anyone know how to restore the file association? :S.

yoyo

Not sure, but I can tell you what the registry keys that should be relevant here read on my computer:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\msstylesfile\shell\open\command
type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL%SystemRoot%\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Appearance /Action:OpenMSTheme /file:"%1"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\themefile\shell\open\command
type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL %SystemRoot%\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Themes /Action:OpenTheme /file:"%1"

Kuja

OSNN Addict
ve-damned xp...... anyways. didnt work, now it just says it cant find the file i just double clicked on.

Thx for trying to help. :)

could you try exporting them as .reg's, and posting them here? unless, thats against the forum rules.. :S

yoyo

Ok, let's try it this way. Just change the extension of the attached file to .reg. You have backed up the original state anyway, haven't you?

R

RogerPhillis

Assuming you have still got the files in Windows/Resources/Themes, go to "Folder options. "file types" in My computer.
YOU need to reassociate the Windows Visual style and Windows Themefiles to run under Window Shell common.dl

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown