XP messed up. . .

pjchappy

OSNN Addict
XP Pro kept having problems for me. . .I would click on the start menu, then a program, and it would hang for like 8 seconds. . .

So, I did a system restore. . .my restore points only went back a couple of days (which I found strange). . . and it didn't fix the problem. . .

SO, I did a repair installation. . .worked fine. . .
Downloaded SP1. . .was acting weird, so I did a system restore to go back before SP1. . .it didn't work. . .came up with this error:

rstrui.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll.

SO. . .I did repair installation AGAIN. . .I just clicked on system restore again to check it out. . .I get the SAME error as above. . .

Any ideas. . . ? ? ?

thanks,
p

Sometimes its just best to let go...I recommend a format :huh:

If you don't need/want any of those restore points & want to get system restore working again then do this.
Right click my computer/properties/system restore. Turn it off all drives. Reboot. Go back & turn it on. It will create a new point which will work from there on.......or at least it should.

With all that installing/uninstalling if problems continue a format might be a good/clean way to go.

reformat. . .

I just reformatted about a month ago. . . and I just got around to finishing installing some programs and games. . .I do not want to do that again. . .

I will try the turning off thingy. . .thanks. . .

p

?

I right click My Computer, properties, then the same error comes up, and I do not se a System Restore tab. . .

Looks like you will have to do a repair again. Leave sp1 off this time.

asdfgadg

I had to break down and do a complete reformat/reinstall. . .the second complete reformat w/in 2 months. . .

I am NOT going to install SP1. . .it seems to slow things down a bit. . .I will see if I do not develop any problems now w/o it.

XP Pro
2.4 GHZ P4
1024 MB RDRAM pc800
120 GB HD
NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti4600
Soundblaster Audigy w/ 1394

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back