XP Media Driver patch kills Unreal Tournament

M

madman_nz

Hi folks,

FYI, after 3 days of re-installing Windows XP Pro and UT, here's what I have found:

On www.windowsupdate.com, microsoft have an update to Windows XP called:

Microsoft Media Driver Version 5.1.2601.0.

I have isolated this particular patch as causing UT to crash on my system.

The MS patch appears to modify the file c:\windows\system32\wdmaud.drv, and it is interesting to note that
the UT log file turned to rubbish at galaxy.dll...which I believe may be an audio driver ?

I can reproduce this bug every time by installing this patch. UT then hangs my entire machine and I have to reboot.
Performing a Windows system restore to a checkpoint created just before the patch then fixes the problem again.

My hardware is as follows:

ASUS CUBX motherboard
256MB PC133 SDRAM
Celeron-II 566
ASUS GeForce-2 GTS 32MB DDR
Diamond MX300 sound card (Aureal Vortex chip)

OS is Windows XP Professional

Cheers

You should be able to remove the patch via add / remove programs, I don't even see the patch on windowsupdate, thru this system, which is using some onboard soundcard.

Interesting, I just installed this patch and played UT last night for over 2hrs... another words.. no problem..

wonder why its being a brat on your system.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back