XP making me cry!!!!! Help please!!!

D

doobie

Since installing XP my machine takes about 80 secs to shut down - Previous OS was win98 and it took 2 secs.

Can anyone help me please?

Also, for online gaming it takes about 4.5 mins to connect to a server for CS, whereas with win98 it only takes 40 secs.

System - Ath 1800+ XP, 760 ddr ram,

PLEASE HELP ME - DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO WIN98!!!!

Doobie:eek:

Check what kind of programs you got running in the background! I notice a system that doesnt have many programs runs a lot better then ones that are overfilled with stuff that you dont use! :D

Did you upgrade or clean install. Chances are you upgraded. XP doesn't perform too well on an upgrade. I would low-level format the HD (to get rid of everything) and clean install. Back up your data first.

Also make sure you have no anti-virus doing a scan at shutdown.

I heard somewhere that u need not shut down with xp. You can just reset at the desktop with no proggies runnning...anyone heard this too?
Ive tried it and i dont get the scandisk telling me of improper shutdown...hmmm
better 1/2 second than 80 huh

This sounds like you set the security options to 'empty the pagefile on shutdown'. Ths is a security option telling your XP to erase data from the page file. If you page file is a large on, it could take up to 80 seconds. Check the setting in Local Security Policies in Administrative Tools. It could be it...

Greetz

Lukas

try this

open regedit

Hkey_Local_Machine/system/controlset001/control

then change waittokillservicetimeout to a lower number like 3000 or 4000.

Originally posted by Bootsy
I heard somewhere that u need not shut down with xp. You can just reset at the desktop with no proggies runnning...anyone heard this too?

Ive tried it and i dont get the scandisk telling me of improper shutdown...hmmm

better 1/2 second than 80 huh
That is beacuse you use NTFS. NTFS is a journalizing file system. This means that any reads/writes made to the disk are stored in a journal file. If you shut down the system by resetting it, XP only needs to read the journal file and correct things from there rather than scan the entire disk. That's why you don't get a message. But just resetting is still a bad idea. Temp files and such will pile up pretty fast since they are never deleted.

My suggestion is to use Hibernation Mode rather than shutting down. I use it and it works well. Takes ~20sec instead of several minutes. And you don't have to log in again when you start the computer. You don't even have to restart your applications.

Originally posted by Khayman
try this

open regedit

Hkey_Local_Machine/system/controlset001/control

then change waittokillservicetimeout to a lower number like 3000 or 4000.

Ok, I tried this, but believe it or not there was no controlset001 so I did it on controlset002 do you think this might have any nasty repercussions?

shouldn't be, also try current controlset

Top of my HEAD!!

Well, i didnt bother reading all thoses posts so i dunno if anyone has mentioned this but the first thing that came to my mind when you said CS takes 5 mins to load is turn off your firewall or set up your firewall to allow CS to access the NET, i had the same problem before and i did that and now works fine, later

RO

ps.. if you have a NVIDIA card, STOP and DISABLE NVIDIA DRIVER SUPPORT (something like that) under ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS -> SERVICES, that should speed up your shutdown speed a lil

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back