XP Login done differently

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
I have asked this question in the past and no one has found a way to do it. But I just did, so Id thought Id share it with you people.

I wanted to have the user picture on top of the XP Style Start Menu, BUT still use the 2000 style login (no welcome screen). Well if you want this then read on....

To use the Windows 2000 login look, and still keep the icon on top of the XP sytle Start menu do the following:

1. Enable the Welcome Screen in the user account settings

2. Open Regedit and Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon

3. Clear the value of UIHost

and your done

This also enables everything associated with the welcome screen like the more fancy shutdown dialog. It just disables the welcome screen, thats it.

Side Note: I was so happy when I found this out. (the value on my comp was C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\CurrentLogon.EXE), I guess it wasnt changed back when I removed Style XP. I decided to use the welcome screen only cuz I wanted my user pic, but when I shut down I noticed it was the 2000 style login screen. Finally figured it out.

ShepsCrook said:
Show some pics or something.

Don't be so lazy ShepsCrook! :p Admiral went to all the trouble to tell us the tweak - it's easy enough to tweak it to try it if you want to.... anyway he described it fine - What it does it replace the lil piccies and names for logging onto XP with the two boxes to type in ID and password - so you have to be real clever and remember your logon name!

I wish I had known this tweak before my step-daughters started playing with the logon pics! :) Would have saved a coupla arguements! ;)

[EDIT] BTW the default in this entry will be loginui.exe for a clean XP install [/EDIT]

Or, in the run dialog box, type "control userpasswords2"
It is the very first check box.

At least this way, if anyone wants to change it back they don't have to
remember what value the reg entry had in it.

Well, I tried 3 times to take a a screenshot of the login screen (have done it b4) but for some reason it didnt work. Aw Well.

Anyways, heres a screenshot of the registry entry you have to clear.

Attachments

• reg.JPG
    reg.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 108

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back