XP LAN issues

evilidin

OSNN Newbie
I have a XP computer hooked up to a network which had some internet issues for the longest time. The issue would be sometimes during restarts the computer would not detect the router and other times I would get a perfect connection. Then sometime later the restarts would not help and I would just stop getting a internet connection.

I searched about the issue on google and found out that my computer had DHCP labeled off when I did ipconfig /all.

One of the solutions people brought up was that a network card could be installed and I could get internet from there, but that card does not detect any cables plugged into it.

I have the computers set up with a static ip, but with the old network connection I got the ip 169.254.x.x when I enabled find ip automatically.

reboot router and modem, if that doesnt help try replacing the card

Sounds a lot like my other, old XP computer, with its tempermental network connection to my router. Most of the time, I had to go to control panel -> network connections and disable the connection (via right-click menu) before the router gives the computer an IP address via DHCP.

I've never solved the problem, although I have a feeling it's the network card that's causing he issues.

umm... silly question - but do you have a DHCP server on the network?

I tried reset but that did not work. I went back to the store and got identical card and end up with the same error.

The first connector was not a pci card but the new one is, if that might be a problem.

I just checked on a computer that worked and the dhcp is not enabled.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back