XP just wont install!!!

A

agent86

I have an AMD 1gig running on a kt7a abit mother.

The install on a clean HDD gets to "setup is starting windows" and hangs....

The upgrade restarts and shows that logo on screen for a second then goes black and hangs.... waited a long time.... nothing happened!?? :confused:

Ok... i know the ususal deal... update bios on mainboard... done! update bios on graphics card... there isnt one! remove all unneeded cards (sound, modem... etc) done! would try different graphics card but my old one has decided to die whilst sitting in its lil anti-static bag!??

I am stuck... am going to try the whole "disable ACPI" during install but dont think that will help either!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

You are using a fully legal copy of windows right, a friend of mine tried a cracked XP CD and a similar thing happened, I am glad I forked out the £150, got £50 back form MS as well, as I am in the UK.

If you can give more information on the problem that would help, do you have a working version of windows, as then you can run the Update Advisor which will tell you if you have incompatible hardware.

I have 386mb sdram

and its full bought version... and the compatability said their were no problems.... !!?? who knows...

yes geoforce 2... why? i heard they ok once you upgrade bios. but cant get a bios upgrade for mine.

It's an issues with the Graphics card bios. Take the card out, intsall xp with any other card and then put the card back in. :D

I know you said your old one died, could you pickup anything from a computer shop. Any old rubbish will do, something like an s3 virge would be ideal.

BTW all graphics cards have a bios. They have to or they wouldn't work :D

Bytes, didnt know that GeForce2 had probs with XP, my GeForce 256 DDR had problems but never my GeForce2, installed with it any everything.
I have a GeForce 2 Titanium
Gainward "Golden Sample" so is rated at higher clock frq.

Thanks for the advice, i can borrow some gear off a friend and will try it asap.

And i know that graphics cards have a bios!!! i meant that there wasnt a upgrade for the bios!! :)

I will tell you how it goes!

Originally posted by gtgarside
Bytes, didnt know that GeForce2 had probs with XP, my GeForce 256 DDR had problems but never my GeForce2, installed with it any everything.
I have a GeForce 2 Titanium
Gainward "Golden Sample" so is rated at higher clock frq.

Sorry, should expand on that, geforce 2 and via kt 133 chipset. Even then its not on every board :)

Guess I must be one of the lucky ones, got GeForce2 and VIA KT133 chipset.

just wanted to note that the kt7a is a kt133a mobo.

btw, never had any problems between my gf2 and kt133, either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back