XP is impossible to install. Operative system not found or a black screen.

Bastupungen

OSNN Junior Addict
Hello!

I installed Mandrake Linux 10.0 RC1 a couple of days ago and now my computer is totaly screwed up, atleast XP is. When i installed Mandrake the installation was smooth and i didn't have any problems. I installed Lilo as the boot loader. Linux loads up fine but XP did not. When i tried to start it i got a black screen with an marker loading(|_|_|_|_|_ ..like that). I left the computer for 10 min but nothing happend.

So i decided that i should try to reinstall windows xp. i got past the partitioning and the copying of the files but when the computer restarts i get operation system not found(translated from swedish). I have tried to do fixmbr, fixboot, fdisk /mbr, nothing really works. If i try to install windows first then Mandrake linux(with Lilo). then i get the black screen if i choose windows in lilo. I have tried to install win98 too. That worked just fine.

It seams like my computer just have started to HATE win XP. But i reallt need windows XP for my work. How can i fix this? any ideas?

Have you tried reformatting the entire hd...including the linux partition?

Aussie983 said:
Have you tried reformatting the entire hd...including the linux partition?

I have tried to format the linux partition and the windows partition. But not the entire harddrive... what diffrence would that do?

Try running fdisk. Get a floppy with say win 98 boot disk to it and doing fdisk.

Well you can slice it up nicely into partitions and start from scratch.

I know it's a last resort, if you don't find a solution.

Multi-OSing

If you like to use multiple OSes, or just like testing them out, you might want to look into Partition Manager, it has a built in boot manager. I personally don't use it for that, I stick with windows. But, my friend swears by it. Sorry, but I don't have any fix for your issue. Usually, if I get something like that, I just toss in my ghost floppy and reimage my drive.

The thing is that i have several partitions on this drive. I have tried to format the partitions with systems on them(XP and MandrakeLinux). But that didn't work. Do i have to format the entire drive to get an result?

You need to run either fdisk /mbr with a 98/ME boot disk or FIXMBR from the XP recovery console. This will not harm the partitions, just overwrite lilo in the MBR. Windows does not use a MBR, that is what NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM are, linux [can] write its boot info to the MBR, so even a reinstall of windows does not remove it.

If you want to learn how to boot linux using the native NT loader, look here, http://www.j79zlr.com/linux/index.php?page=boot

j79zlr said:
You need to run either fdisk /mbr with a 98/ME boot disk or FIXMBR from the XP recovery console. This will not harm the partitions, just overwrite lilo in the MBR. Windows does not use a MBR, that is what NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM are, linux [can] write its boot info to the MBR, so even a reinstall of windows does not remove it.

If you want to learn how to boot linux using the native NT loader, look here, http://www.j79zlr.com/linux/index.php?page=boot

Ok. Then that is even wierder then i thought. Because if i try to boot windows from lilo i only get a black screen. And, like i said, if i try to do fdisk /mbr and then install windows i still get os not found.

Would an complete format of the drive help? or is an format of the first partition(windows) enough?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back